Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Couple o' Questions

Short time reader, first time poster.

Recently took delivery of a 2001 Moomba Mobius and had a few real quick questions.

- noticed to the right of the sterring wheel there is a little Moomba decal/plate - is this where the stereo remote would have gone?

- if so, what brand/model would be the one to fit in there?

-was reading several posts about depth finders - would it be good to go with a factory ordered look, with the extra cost, or go strictly aftermarket?

Thanks very much,

yellowa4,
    Welcome to the family. I hope you can get some time to post pic's of your boat.

For your question I think the Moomba decal is for a guage. It could be for a wakeplate or the depth finder.

The stereo remote will depend on the stereo you have installed.

For a depth finder it really is your choice. The factory look is more sleek then an aftermarket fish finder/depth guage. You could find an aftermarket one that looks good with your boat but you might have to shop around. I hope this helps you and i am sure more people will add to this.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

yellowa4 - Whatever you decide, a depth finder is a good thing. It can keep you out of too shallow water and save a bent prop. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Welcome! I went with the Faria depth finder (see link). It fit the space perfect and matched the factory dashes pretty good so it blends in. Also, I used the transducer that glues to the inside of the hull (down by the transmission is a good spot). It is very accurate and has been reliable, and doesn't require any drilling or holes.

http://www.boatersland.com/far-12950.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks very much for the welcome and the details. Like the look of that depth unit, and as other friends have noted, it is a worthwhile investment. Started the stereo build as the boat came bone stock - need the tunes.

Welcome to the site! Where are you from? Be sure to post up pictures in the Pride & Joy section!
    2013 Outback V

i don't think there is anything special to the "stock" depth finder. i don't think it is a special made for moomba thing. if you don't have perfect pass, i would agree with the faria unit. i like to see the temperature. otherwise, there are several brands, humminbird, lowrance, etc. that make a depth gauge that will fit in the hole and they use a thru-hull transducer so you don't need to drill the hull.

From Canada - Alberta.

Yeah, I like the look of that Faria unit and as soon as I showed the wife the temp display she was all for it. Plus, as noted, really keen on not having to drill extra holes in the bottom. Does the Perfect Pass include a depth finder or would it just be for the temp component?
    Last edited by yellowa4; 06-08-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Question

Where in Alberta?

The PP system only has water temp. Some times i hold back the water temp from the people getting in the water so they don't chicken out. Some times it is better not too know what you are getting in.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill