Default Need a Slalom for a 6' and 220 lb skier

We just purchased the Connolly Big Daddy for my husband. He's 6' and 220lbs. He got up on it fine but it skied terribly. I think it's too much a surfboard for him to do anything on it.

We ski behind a 16' boat with a 90 hp outboard. Fine for me but a struggle for him to get up on a regular slalom, but he can do it. He currently skis a Kidder Parabolic, 69", 15 off at 32 to 34 mph. We attempted to upgrade to the Big Daddy but would like to exchange it for a better ski. Help!

He's an aggressive skier who could really grow with the ski. The guy at Overtons recommended the Connolly FX, 70". Can anyone help us out with advice/ recommendation? Thanks!

Smile

The Big Daddy is not an aggressive ski. It is a ski that allows a larger person to get out of the water and ski , but like i said before its not aggressive as its also rated for slower skiing.You can read up on them on many different sites. The FX and a multitude of other similar skis are designed to be skiied more agressively and at 220 lbs at would be a matter of finding the right size ski to accomodate. The only drawback to these or ther siilar skis is they don't have the bouyany like the Big Daddy so he may have to work harder to get up,especially behind a smaller lwer hp boat.

What other sites would you recommend reading reviews on. I had a hard time finding some good sites. Thanks for your reply!

Smile

Just find any site selling skis etc . Click on whatever brand of skis your interested in. Connely,HO ,OBrien are the most common,etc and look at lineups of skis and figure out appropriate ski and read up on what they say about each model.
    that should give you a general knowledge of what to expect from each ski you may be interested in. You could try Overtons,Barts, Adrenaline,the list goes on.

Or you could try finding Brand name websites and do some research there as well. For actuall testimonies etc you could Go to Waterski mag and do an archive search on ski writeups etc.
    If you find something that works if possible demo a ski but generally all brands have something that should work. Untill you get into the highend skis then it really gets into a works for you kinda thingie brands ,color touch feel,weight speeds ,intended use you name it.
    Hope this kinda helps.

i am 6'2", i was 220, but not anymore. i have an HO Triumph, 69". i can get up fine on smaller boats, and it can ski great. i have never rode a Big Daddy.

Try an obrien synchro I have the 07 model 69" pop up easy and cuts as hard as you want.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=52226
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

There are a couple of skis you guys might want to check out, the main one that comes to mind is the H.O. Magnum, it is a 71' ski with a slightly wider midsection (though nothing like the big daddy) This ski will have much better performance for your husband.

In the Connelly lineup I'd recommend the F1X in a 69". Like the Magnum this is a slightly wider ski than through the forebody but still maintains a high degree of performance.

Check out your local pro shop and pick their brain if necessary, if you don't have a local shop check out mine www.waterskis.com (yes this is a little self plug but we are happy to give out free info) If you call ask for John, he is VERY knowledgeable when it comes to skis.

My bigger brother has the Magnum and loves it. He can ski behind a 90 HP outboard with it and he's pushing 250. I tried it one time and was surprised how good it was. I asked and it performed. Now, I'm no pro or anything but it seemed like it would do anything I could do. I'd get your hubby to demo one of those if you can.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

3rd the magnum. i tried that before the triumph, skied behind a small boat, similar to kaneboats description.