Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Straps from Boat Cover Marking hull

Hi there,

I recently puchased a 2007 Moomba Outback V and I have to say I am very pleased with it. But, I am finding that the straps that run from the boat cover to the trailer are leaving a black residue on the hull. It's a real pain to remove and it seems like it's cause some pitting on the Gelcoat. Any idea why this may be happening? Could they be reacting with the wax that's on the hull?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First Welcome to the forum Canuckle

Do you normaly tow the boat with the cover and straps?

my straps dont actualy touch my boat when the cover is on. I do wrap the access strap around the buckle and tie it off and i put a twist in the strap so its not completly flat when hauling the boat someplace.

As for the pitting, not sure what to tell ya on that one. As for removing the marks Meguires and several other companies make rubbing compound for fiberglass.

I use the Meguires Oxidation removal stuff. It only about 8bucks a bottle and you can feel the fine grit in it. It takes off any marks on the boat including scratches from wake boards and things touching the gel coat with jsut hand pressure. Wipe it on and rub it pretty firmly, then go over it again with wax and marks are gone.

Maybe get some pics if you can of the marks and post them so other can see and give you some more ideas.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Never trailer your boat with the mooring cover on. The effects you are seeing are the reason for this. If absolutely necessary make sure you twist the straps a couple times before you connect them. This supposedly helps minimize the oscillation.

I was warned about this by a body guy right after I got my boat.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Thanks so much for the help guys and the welcome, much appreciated! So, I guess I won't be trailering my boat with the cover on it anymore. Doh!

I would take pictures but I have finally finished scrubbing out the marks and they are now very faint. I'll try the oxidation removal and hopefully that will get rid of the rest of it. Who'da thunk that oscillating straps would do that!

Thanks again!

No problem at all. If you do need to trailer the boat long distances you can also saryan wrap the boat and straps. Install the sayran wrap on the upper section of the boat then install the cover. Then wrap the straps and tape the sayran off to them. This will stop scratches when traveling also.

I wouldnt reccomend the sayran wrap unless its a long travel as it does take a while to do this.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Cool idea! I think I'll just travel with it off instead. Or, maybe just wrap the straps instead of the boat. I haven't experienced any other marks from the cover, just from the straps. I plan on traveling to the interior of BC with it next month (I live in Victoria BC, Canada) to visit familly. (Vernon BC)

I have trailered my boat up to 5 hours with the cover on. I took a couple of those round foam water floats, I can't remember what they are called, and cut them in half. I then cut them to the center hole down one side and would slide them over the straps so the strap is in the hole running down the center. They would keep the strap off the fiberglass and are really easy to put on and take off. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MEDIC151 View Post
    I can't remember what they are called
    Pool noodles?
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Thats it. I knew someone would think of it.

Hey, that's using your noodle!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!