Default Painting speaker cases.

So i got these new KMT6 speakers and there in an ABS plastic type case. I want to paint them but not sure how to go about it.

Do i need to scuff up the plastic and prime it? What type of paint should i use to make it look really nice?

Also where would i get paint that would match my Tan color? I cant find a color code so i cant just go to an auto body shop and ask for that color.

What i was thinking is i need to take a green brillo type pad and scuff up the surface, then use a spray paint primary, grey i was thinking, then just try to get the closest color Tan spray paint i can fine and use that. Then a few coats of clear over it and it should be ok?

If someone has some painting tips and advice please let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, here's what i would do. Go to an auto paint store and get paint chip sheets, as many as you can and match as close as you can. Once you have that then go back to the auto paint store and get the materials for painting plastic. Have them match your sample in spray cans, get two so the batch matches just in case. Then you'll need the plastic prep, primer, sandpaper, 1500 & 2000 grit, and polishing compound of some sort. Ask them they'll know exactly what to give you..

1) First use a scotchbrite pad to scuff real good, but don't gouge the plastic. You want a good base to adhere to.
    2) Prep it with the plastic prep.
    3) Prime it with a couple coats. Allow to dry between coats. Sand smooth with the 1500 until smooth.
    4) Wipe all grease and stuff off with alcohol.
    5) apply a light coat of paint and allow to dry
    6) Wipe all grease and stuff off with alcohol.
    7) paint again and dry
    check paint, if it looks good and your happy then allow to dry for a couple of days. A heat lamp really speeds the process.
    9) If your happy with it then leave it
    10) If not then using the 1500 sandpaper WET & very lightly sand the surface to remove most imperfections. Use the 2000 WET to finish and the polishing compound to shine it up. NOTE: The paint should be totally dry before doing this!

Side note: If these have a texture to them then don't sand the primer or put it on real heavy or it'll remove the primer off of the texture. You might not want to color sand either, your call. It all depends on how good you are with a spray can i guess.

SAND VERY LIGHTLY AND VERY LITTLE! Or you'll sand right through your paint! Wait a few weeks to use polish or wax until the paint has totally cured.

If this is to much go to a paint shop and have them do it, they might do it cheap!
    Last edited by Razzman; 06-05-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Razz, sounds like you have done that before!! Great instructions!

Thanks for the tips Razz. This morning when i posted this Claudia said she wants to see them on the boat before we do any painting to them. I can agree we might like the black look to match the Z5 rack.

I really do like the idea of color matching them. Might end up being a winter project too LOL. Have to wait and see.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Hey the nice thing about black is that it's universal so to speak. There's always something it'll matchup to.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Hey the nice thing about black is that it's universal so to speak. There's always something it'll matchup to.

Have to agree.. you cannot go wrong with black - universal in most cases.

i worked at a auto body shop for a while. and imo using 1500 to sand primer will take a decade. i think i used 400 and then finished with 600 before painting. the primer has to be smooth but when it is sprayed on it has sort of a orange peel texture which has to be sanded off if you want a perfectly smooth box

Quote Originally Posted by insanepolack View Post
    i worked at a auto body shop for a while. and imo using 1500 to sand primer will take a decade. i think i used 400 and then finished with 600 before painting. the primer has to be smooth but when it is sprayed on it has sort of a orange peel texture which has to be sanded off if you want a perfectly smooth box

I have had great success using 600-800 for sanding primer. I use 1500-2000 for sanding the dried paint before buffing.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Gotta realize one thing here. First the Kickers have a textured finish if i rememeber right, two anyone that's not familiar with painting and sanding techniques could very easily sand the texture off in spots and create more work, so i erred on the side of caution. Yeah it might take awhile longer bit it won't take off the texture either.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Yea theres a realy fine texture to them, you can see it and feel it. Not real deep at all. I plan to install them as they are and see how it looks. If that doesnt work out then ill dabble with the paint idea more and try that out.

Worst case is i screw the case completly up, power sand it smooth then paint it over again LOL.
    [COLOR="#696969"]