Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: amp heat

Default amp heat

does anyone here run there rca cables under the amp for cosmetic reasons. I would like to but i am not sure if it will get to hot and melt or ruin the cables in some way

when the amp gets really hot does it cause distortion?

if not what causes speaker distortion from the amp? Is it just the amp?

Distortion can come from a lot of things.

Amp over heating, bad connections, weak power to the amp, bad ground, cheap RCAs, low quality amp, gain turned to high, bad speakers.

No many things but as for running the RCAs under the amp, i wouldnt run them directly under the amp but along the side or the top and bottom edges so there just under the side.

I wouldn't risk pinching the RCAs.

I would check your ground, then double check all the speaker connections, does this distortion happen all the time? Just when at high volume? Or does it only happen after playing the stereo for longer periods of time?

Best thing to do is list amp type, speaker type, gain settings, bass and treble settings, Razz and or Newty or one of the other stereo gu roos can figure it out but they arnt online right now. They generally show up in a few more hours.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I'm around! I'n sure Newty will be here soon as well.

Insane, what exactly is the issue your having? Let's start with a rundown of all the equipment make & model and how your setup. Distortion comes in many forms and can be cause by many things so try and explain the scenario best you can as i what circumstances does the problem occur in?
    2007 Mobius LSV

may i suggest if you want to run it under the amp. run the RCA through a tubing that is rated for high heat, just behind the amp. if your worried about distortion it should work considering the amp just supercharges the signal and gives off power and the RCA's just feed the signal from the deck. should work

Thats one of the oldest tricks to keeping things clean. I would not hesitate to run them under them under the amp. If your amp gets hot enough to melt your rca's then you have bigger problems than rca's. Just be sure not to pinch them or make any really tight turns under the amp.

We really need to know what you set-up is. Deck amps speakers etc. to really know how to diagnose any problems. Most likely is you have the speakers really underpowered or you have way to much bass run to them.
    The easiest thing to do is turn the bass down on the interiors and then see if the distortion decreases at all. I you have an amp run to the interiors most likely its not an underpowering issue.

Give us an idea what your running.

PWI as usual...

i got a pioneer deh-p4100 UB head unit. polk momo speakers. and clarion apx490M amp.

I know you guys don't like clarion amps so we will get that over with now

it was happening after a couple minutes of playing time i guess pretty loud. the amp was really hot with the sun beating down on it aswell. anyways i already checked all the wiring and i do have good rca cables.

after i turned down the volume a little it would still distort.

but i may have fixed the problem i think i set the gains too high because when i reset the gains it stopped well distorting lol.

but i now have another problem. i took the boat out and am getting a ton of alternator noise and other feedback from the engine running. i moved the rca cables as far from the power cords as i could but it still made that whining sound. all the power cords are nice and tight with good connections. so now i am wondering if i need an inline noise filter or is there any other tricks out there.

You need to be at least 6" away fro power but you can cross the two @ 90 degrees. Make sense. Check your ground for secure connections as well that will cause noise, and try switching rcs outouts on the deck. Hate to say it but as decks start to go bad engine nose will progress. You can try a ground loop isolator (noise filter) if those don't work.
    good luck.

PWI as usual...

i am factoring out the deck since it is actually brand new. i figure it might the ground and the rca cables.