Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default water entering into the bilge

This is my first inbord type boat and I was wondering how water would enter into the bildge. Last weekend on the lake, the water conditions were quite choppy (1-2 foot waves) enough to get you we when moveing at low speed - less than 15mph. When I was putting the bouys out, I noticed the bildge was pumping out some water. First Ive seen of this. Is it normal for water to enter into the bildge during rough waters - perhaps through the exhast ports? Everyting that I can see was secure.

On a direct drive or v-drive boat there will be a seal on the drive shaft. There are dripless seals but most use a wax rope as a seal. There should drip slowly under normal conditions, maybe yours may need adjusting/tightening or maybe replacement.

I am guessing it is your packing. Thats where the driveshaft goes through the hull and the packing is what stops water from pouring in.

Now packings are suppose to leak slowly, like a drop every 30 seconds if i am not mistaken.

The packing can be tightened with giant wrenchs. So if it is your packing hopefully it does not have to be replaced but just tightened.

that is my guess

Quote Originally Posted by bjames View Post
    This is my first inbord type boat and I was wondering how water would enter into the bildge. Last weekend on the lake, the water conditions were quite choppy (1-2 foot waves) enough to get you we when moveing at low speed - less than 15mph. When I was putting the bouys out, I noticed the bildge was pumping out some water. First Ive seen of this. Is it normal for water to enter into the bildge during rough waters - perhaps through the exhast ports? Everyting that I can see was secure.
    There are many threads on this board about adjusting and repacking. Here is one:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....=shaft+packing

It's a relatively easy job once you get the old packing out. As some would say, two beers.

Depending on the year of your boat Moombas use the dripless seal, i know my '07 LSV does. The waqter could be coming from many points. Check your block plugs, exhaust drain hose connections, ballast valves and bag connections. Run the engine and view all the above, fill the ballast and watch the valves and manifold.
    2007 Mobius LSV

ED, you take water over the bow surfing on a turn around?
    2007 Mobius LSV

On a side note everyone should check the ballast valves as they are only hand tight on the older systems and it's easy for them to vibrate and loosen up. I know mine did as a couple of others and they'll spew quite a bit of water.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Yup, I've definitely seen that.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Guess maybe i need to check my valves.

My bilge pump didn't turn on very much till the weather got warmer and we stated boarding and surfing, and swimming. Its pretty common to see it come on 3 or 4 times a day now. I figure its all the water from us coming in and out of the boat, gear and such. I don't really worry about it to much, unless its on all the time or seems to be on every time i look over the side.

GF keeps telling me to not drain the ballast so much and take some water home from the lake for her gardens, sounds like a good idea till you figure the gas your wasting carrying the extra water weight lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks guys.. The boat is a 2009 and is going out for its 3rd ride tomorrow. I will keep a close eye on it. If the condtions are calm, and no water enters, then obiously due to the rough conditions.