Thread: Amplifiers

Default Amplifiers

Just curious to see what amplifier(s) you are running in your boat and what you are powering with them. May as well mention battery setup as well. Over the winter I'll be upgrading the stereo to 4 Hollow Point 770 tower speakers and 6 new cabin speakers (choices - Polk db651, Hollow Point 6.5 coax, or Wetsounds 650), 10" JL sub. Using 2 JL G1300 amps for the tower and a JL G6600 for everything else. Already have a two battery setup and will upgrade the second battery to a Kinetik 2000 or 2400.

Ed, i had a 4 channel kenwood and 2 channel alpine amp in my auto years ago. You will be pleasantly suprised. I like the specs for the towers especiallly at the price crutcfeild has it for 199.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

ed-I still have the 2 stock 4ch kenwood amps in the boat and they do a decent job.. I think you will be happy with the performance.

thinking about upgrading though, as I want more bass and the hollow points take a ton of power. I think I'd be maxing the kenwoods out to run all that plus 6 new cabin speakers off them.

I'd like to go old school with some ppi art series, soundstream reference(the old stuff) or orion, but today's technology gives you some decent power with a whole lot less heat and space. really have to factor that in the cramped and hot quarters of a boat.
    my guess is I'll end up with jl. good stuff for not a lot of $$, although I'll probably take a different route than da man. probably end up with 3 amps total, one 4ch on the cabin speakers, one 4ch bridged running the towers and a mono for the subs.
    have 2 batteries. brand new. don't plan on changing. they work fine.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

sandm - curious why you'd go with a bridged 4ch over a 2ch for the towers

looking at the jl amps, here's the logic...
    hlcd require a ton of power, so want to power them with 150 watts of good clean rated power, figuring that there will be some left over in reserve with any good quality amp..

jl makes 3 amps that could be contenders..
    g-1300 is a monoblock amp that produces 150wpc with a 4ohm load.
    g-2250 is a 2ch amp that produces 80wpc x 2 with a 4ohm load. not enough..
    g-4500 is a 4ch amp that produces 160wpc x 2 with a 4ohm load when bridged down to 2 channels. equal to the g-1300.
    so you can see that the g-1300 adn the g-4500 are almost identical in output. all other specs are the same for both amps.

however using 2 of the g-1300 vs 1 g-4500 takes 2x the wiring/fuses, cost 40% more, and takes up 35% more space to install. g-4500 needs 13x9 footprint. g-1300 takes 20x9(10x9 and you need 2).
    there may be some benefits to using the monoblock amps, but the specs don't show it. Heat might be the only factor that the monoblocks would be able to shed off easier, but I don't plan on using the system at volume 10 all day long. only time I would be using tower speakers is with a rider in tow, and we spend just as much time bobbing as skiing, so there will be time to rest and let them cool off..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Kicker 850.4 Wetsounds Pro 80's and Pro 485
    Kicker 350.4 for in boat
    Alpine 1000.1 Wetsounds Sub.

Boat is super loud and very clear.
    SUNSHINE DAYDREAMS!!
    2008 LSV
    Wetsounds 3-some on tower. Wetsounds in boat. Wetsounds XS12 Sub. Green LEDs interior.

hey mad,
    can i invite myself down for a ride with you, would like to check out the sound, and the warm pueblo waters? you are in pueblo right?

thanks

Sounds like a lot of Thread jacking going on here. LOL.

Amps

700.5 for cabin and sub. gain at 40%
    450.2 for KMT6 towers. gain at 40%

Very loud system and crystal clear all the to the max on my deck.
    Only thing holding me back from adding a little more gain is the system
    already over powers my sub.

1# project this winter is sealing my sub up. Might upgrade to the L7 square
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    hey mad,
    can i invite myself down for a ride with you, would like to check out the sound, and the warm pueblo waters? you are in pueblo right?

thanks

Hit me up anytime! I live in Colorado Springs and ride in Pueblo. Supposed to get a little snow on Saturday but we usually ride into Nov.
    SUNSHINE DAYDREAMS!!
    2008 LSV
    Wetsounds 3-some on tower. Wetsounds in boat. Wetsounds XS12 Sub. Green LEDs interior.

Sandm - I specifically asked David at Earmark Marine about the G4500 vs two G1300 monoblocks. He stated pretty much what you've said, G1300 amps would put out 25w more per speaker and would run cooler. I asked about the extra current draw with the two G1300 vs one G4500 and he said with the right battery it won't be a problem because he said that even though they are still a class A/B amp, they are very efficent.