Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Brain rinse. Do you have the BEP vsr relay?

Razz, Here is some additional info. let me know you thoughts on this switch

The 714-100A uses our dual sensing VSR (710-100A-DS).
    A welcome addition to the 701-selector switch it ensures you
    will always have a fully charged reserve battery.
    When the switch is in position 1 it becomes the sensing battery
    for the VSR. Battery 2, which is in isolation, will be charged via
    the VSR when the engine is running and battery 1 (the sensed
    battery) voltage reaches 13.7 Volts, ensuring the isolated battery
    is always fully charged.
    When the switch is in battery 2 position this becomes the
    sensing battery and battery 1 is charged via the VSR.
    When the engine is stopped the battery voltages return to normal
    levels, disengaging the VSR, and separating the two batteries.
    The fact that there is always a fully charged battery in reserve is
    a huge safety factor.

Please note: With this system the electronic loads are run off the
    same battery as the engine starting, which can be a
    disadvantage.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Found an article that helps.
    BEP vsr has to have the same type batteries or bank ( ie. dual purpose, dual purpose)

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000612.html

I have a starting battery and a deep cycle, so unless i want to buy a new battery. i am back to the isolator with heat sinks or the relay stinger or blue seas. My though is with the relay, not sure about the heat sink temperatures..

Back to square one, can you say "overanlayze" something simple.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Ok after getting down to the lake this weekend, It does have the dual sense module, so I kept it on 1, we went to a couple cove parties and each time played the stereo for over an hour at normal volume (10-15 on the kenwood) and never had any problems, cant really ask for more as we never really stop for more than an hour. Each time I went to start the boat back up the voltmeter was above 12. Good enough for me
    Last edited by lancesaville; 06-08-2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Brain rinse. Do you have the BEP vsr relay?
    Yep, BEP VSR

MY bad,

That post was from 2005 nad BEP has come out with a dual sensing unit for batteries that are different.since then, so the BEP VSR DS marine unit is good

Ed, go ahead and delete all my posts cause i went full circle on the whole dealio

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Lance ( and moomba techies, Razz that includes you), i just just installed my Bep VSR battery yesterday and moved my batteries ( the 07 OBV hole is tight)

do you have any pics of the wires. My accessory panel still runs with the the switch to off. I think I may need to put the accessory panel Positive wire on the common for this to be "all off" in the off position.

wiring instructions below

http://bepmarine.web03.co.nz/store/w...A_Wire_Dia.pdf

Thanks,

Joe

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I'm not sure JV, My dealer did the 2nd battery and switch setup for me so I can't say right off hand how everything is wired. I CAN take a pic for you and I'll make a quick schematic when I see it on friday. I definitely am sure tho, that when the switch is in the off position, the ONLY thing that works is the auto-bilge and blower fan.
    Last edited by lancesaville; 07-27-2009 at 08:30 PM.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

jv,
    I installed Lance's dual battery system for him. It is wired exactly how it would be if it had came from the factory. The positive cable coming from the switch from the "1" side goes to the starting battery. The main ground cable coming from the floor also goes to the starting battery. All other cables (amps, switch panel, and ballast (for 2009's) go to the other battery. There is also a cable that coonects the (-) terminals on the starting battery and accessory battery.

The correct position for the switch when wired like this is in the "1" position. This will make sure that your starting battery is always charged. When in the "off" position it will cut the
    Power to your ignition. Your switches will still have power. Do keep in mind that the 2009's have an "acc" position on the ignition switch that when in off will cut all power besides the bilge, blower, and ballast. You must turn the boat on or put in in the "acc" position for your accessories to work.

If you want to cut all power you will need to turn the switch to off and then push the red button on the breaker mounted close to the battery. The only possible thing that can draw the battery is if there is a draw from an amp or anything else wired directly to the battery like that. Remember to push the switch blade lever on that breaker back in when you want to use the boat again, and of course turn the switch back to "1". The 2009's will have 2 of these breakers, one for switch panel and the other for ballast.

ok i have the perko switch added by the dealer before i took it home not factory. he didn't say anything about switching it to off when i park it at home...should i be? battery 1 and 2 operate everything which saves continuing changing the switch.
    he told me leave it on all when moving to charge both batteries. when u shut down to party turn to 2 and it won't drain 1 ...now is this false since the radio will run on battery 1 as well? i don't wanna screw myself sometime while being in the middle of nowhere!
    i'm gonna be doing a stereo upgrade which will drain the juice a lot faster if not done right i'm sure!

Jon,

I wired according to the BEP instructions, which i also got from sc.

http://bepmarine.web03.co.nz/store/w...A_Wire_Dia.pdf

I put the postive wire from the breaker to the common(with all the accessories) on the switch like stated in the instructions. therefore off turns off evrything in the boat ( probably the auto bilge as well)

Does it matter if the negative goes to battery 2 1st and then jumped to batt 1. the floor cable is not long enough where i moved battery 1. i thought negatives just need a loop, but i could be wrong.

Thanks.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold