Thread: Oil Pressure

Default Oil Pressure

Just wondering what normal oil pressure should be at an idle. I recently took my boat (2007 OBV) out of storage and hooked it up to the fake lake to run it for a while. While running I noticed that the I.P was at 60. I checked the oil and there is the correct amount in it (put boat into garage to check oil so it was level). Could it be that the boat was not level as my driveway slopes a bit leaving the bow lower than the engine. I think this is high, any thoughts?
    Reality is a crutch for people who can’t handle alcohol.

First to get accurate oil level the boat will need to be in the water.

Second 60 at idle is a good pressure. Most cars are down to 20 or so at idle and run 60 at 2k rpm.

Id have to go look my gauge in the boat to see what the reading is but it generally runs straight up or the 1 o'clock position on my gauge when cruising
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Don't want to steal your thread but I also have a question about oil pressure. I've noticed at full throttle I'm running around 75psi. Is this caused by too much oil possibly? Or is that average?

All boats will fluctuate a small amount on oil pressure when running, due to engines and the types of oil people run.

Thicker oil gets you more pressure, thinner oil the opposite.

Run the standard 10w 30 or 10 w 40 and you will be good. Too much oil pressure can cause just as much damage also. Too much and you start to blue seals and over work the pump.

If you like send a PM to Engine Nut he can most likely tell you exactly what you need to know on oil types and pressures.

70 to me is more then enough, thats much higher then any car engine ive ever had, and the Indmar is a car engine is just built a little different. Its more or less a stock 350 Chevy engine.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Appleknocker - 60 is better than 0. That is what I had after a few minutes on Sunset lake last week!!!! Caught it right away, but I was leaking oil from the filter. Everything seems to be ok. We should get the boats out together sometime soon!!!