Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by flatH20 View Post
    - that other post on the fuel filter was good advice. - I put on the indmar replacement (purchased through an autoparts store) and so far so good - its running smoother, quicker starts and overall the piece of mind is priceless... cost about 150 bucks at an autoparts store- the install is also a piece of cake - if you want I'll pass along the part number which should help you immensely just let me know. Interestingly - the local dealer in this neck of the woods runs a ski school and otherwise really uses thier moombas - this season - 2 of thier boats have had similar problems...
    The fuel filter cost $150? or the pump?

Did you guys find any resolution to this? I had to be towed in today for the first time in 4 years. We wakeboarded for about 2 hours, then sat around for an hour swimming, etc. Decided it was time to head home and after the engine turned over...it wouldn't stay 'lit'. Grrr.

So after calls to my dealer and SkiDim, I'm pretty confident my fuel pump is gone and am getting ready to drop the $$ for a new one. I then read this thread, so go outside and BINGO, engine starts up first time just perfectly and purrs away?!?

I now don't want to get a new pump, but then again, don't want to have to get towed again either.

Can anyone give me some piece of mind?

Quote Originally Posted by helix_rider View Post
    Did you guys find any resolution to this? I had to be towed in today for the first time in 4 years. We wakeboarded for about 2 hours, then sat around for an hour swimming, etc. Decided it was time to head home and after the engine turned over...it wouldn't stay 'lit'. Grrr.

So after calls to my dealer and SkiDim, I'm pretty confident my fuel pump is gone and am getting ready to drop the $$ for a new one. I then read this thread, so go outside and BINGO, engine starts up first time just perfectly and purrs away?!?

I now don't want to get a new pump, but then again, don't want to have to get towed again either.

Can anyone give me some piece of mind?
    No I have not found a solution yet. I have not been on the water again since to test it out.

However, vapor lock seems like a Bigger possibility right now than bad pump. Why it hasn't done it in the past 3 years I have had the boat. IDK. Maybe because Enthol mixed fuels are everywhere now and that differently helps you get vapor lock on prone engines. Also maybe my fuel filter is more clogged now.

I know more next time I take my boat out again. But I am not changing fuel pump til I know for sure.
    Last edited by ajsboat; 06-03-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Fuel Filters are cheap. If your not replacing them each year then your begging for low cost fix big headache problems. Its not much different the an oil filter. Those are replaced each oil change. Id seriously recommend replacing those fuel filters each summer when you get the boat out of storage again.

As for the vapor lock problem, since we are all being more aware its an issue this summer, just remember, we all generally have cold drinks on the boat, take a small towel and dunk it in that ice water and start running if down the fuel lines.

Another thing lets run them blowers more often when we stop after making our boats work pulling people.

After reading tons of these same types of posts, i know i will be running that blower for 15 to 20 minutes when we stop the engine, and if i do run into a vapor lock ill be using a towel in cold water, hate to have to resort to this being an issue we cant fix readily but sometimes you have to go with the flow to get er dun.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Fuel Filters are cheap. If your not replacing them each year then your begging for low cost fix big headache problems. Its not much different the an oil filter. Those are replaced each oil change. Id seriously recommend replacing those fuel filters each summer when you get the boat out of storage again.

As for the vapor lock problem, since we are all being more aware its an issue this summer, just remember, we all generally have cold drinks on the boat, take a small towel and dunk it in that ice water and start running if down the fuel lines.

Another thing lets run them blowers more often when we stop after making our boats work pulling people.

After reading tons of these same types of posts, i know i will be running that blower for 15 to 20 minutes when we stop the engine, and if i do run into a vapor lock ill be using a towel in cold water, hate to have to resort to this being an issue we cant fix readily but sometimes you have to go with the flow to get er dun.

The funny thing is with my case, I run the blowers all the time when the engine is on. We were only stopped for 5 minutes with the engine/blowers off and it wouldn't run.

That just sucks Ajsboat. I keep fearing when we are out we are going to have this problem, we have a friend who is wake boarding with us and he is a bit of a pain in the arse when the boat gets any where near him. We always have to shut it off anytime we are near him. even when not picking him up lol.

We always shut it off when people are by the swim deck entering or exiting the boat, but its a pain each time he falls and we go by him to get him the rope and want to talk to him and have to shut it down so he will talk to us lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yep, yep, yep fuel filter. I just figured out today I had a clogged fuel filter when I thought I was getting vapor lock. Boat was running like sheet all day... I took off the cover by the tranny and tapped on the fuel filter with screwdriver and everything cleared up. I am replacing the filter tomorrow morn.

Mine did the exact same thing last nite. Ran fine for an hour or so, then when I started it, it ran rough and died. Wouldn't start again. Had to be towed for the first time since 02. This is my newer boat and is an 06 XLV. I'll be replacing the fuel filter tomorrow morning since I am at the fire station. I wasn't able to get off the water till midnite because of it. I really don't want that to happen again.

Thumbs up

I got 2 new fuel filters from Napa Auto Parts (Napa brand) to have 1 for backup. $11-12 per filter. I have a feeling that I have a lot of crud in my gas tank from that crappy gas I got from the fuel dock in Moses Lake, WA. So if my boat starts sputtering again then I will change out the filter again on the water.

Needless to say my boat is running like a champ! We wakeboarded and wakesurfed all day last Thursday. I think this is the best the boat has ever ran over the past 2 years since we got it? I got my ballast situation sorted out so all bags fill. Now it's all fun all OF the time baby!
    Last edited by ToddXLV; 06-07-2009 at 02:19 PM.