Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Strange LXV starting problem.

So after about 5 hours or so running my 04 LXV doing water sports, ran just like it should. We turned it off to pack the wakeboards and tube away. Went to start it up to drive back to the dock and it cranked fine but then died. Crank fine and died again. Tried many more time with the same result. I let it set of about 10 minutes and I tried again same thing.

Finally I gave full throttle in neutral and it started and about died again, but I was able to barely keep it idling in gear. I was able to drive it back to the dock, about 2 miles, just barely running roughly. It seems like its starving of fuel but it was weird that after running fine all day, this just started.

BTW its the 320HP EFI.

Any thoughts?

O and one more thing, I started it up the next day in my drive way and it ran fine for about 2 minutes. But, haven't taken out again to really test it.

Thanks
    Adam

Hard to know exactly but it sounds like your fuel pump going out. Were you getting detination (popping) before it died?

I've heard of some folks running their boat for a couple hours and the fuel pump gets hot and a similar situation can occur when they shut off the motor and it's still hot. Check with your dealer tho and see what they think it is. Alternatively you can do a forum search for fuel pump and see if anyone else's previous solutions help you out or sound like the exact problem. Good luck bro.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

Thanks for the input. NO I didn't hear anything abnormal before we shut it off. However, it would be hard to hear anyway between the engine cover and the radio on.

I turned the key off after it was running fine, before the problem started. It did not turn off on its on.

I was wondering if it got hot however the temp gauge never went above ~170 and was normally around 150 or so.

Thanks for your reply.

I have also heard that the enthol in gas these days might cause fuel pumps go out quicker. Any body hear this before?
    Adam

Default Vapor Lock

I've been reading some more on this, and it sounds like it could be Vapor Lock.

Does anybody else agree?

Also if it is vapor lock, wouldn't it clear its self up after about 1 hour of rough idling?

I run my blower always when the engine is on. The boat was only off for about 5 minutes before i started it again.

I don't think the blower will help much. Its more designed as a safety system to evac any fumes form the engine compartment.

If your running fuel injection then you wont have vapor lock from what i understand. Vapor lock is from raw fuel at a more stationary pressure expanding into vapors from residual heat of the engine and then basically the injector in the Carb gets Vapor in it instead of raw liquid fuel.

Well i have been flooded with post findings on Vapor lock in the system. It seems its from the fuel filter not the fuel injection and this can make a lot more since to me. Seeing how in boats the fuel system is very short and the lines are in the heat of the trans and engine bays. With cars the lines are under the car and are very unlikely to vapor lock on a fuel injected car.

I might be wrong on this. I don't deal with Carbs to much.

Id be suspecting the fuel pump a lot more.

Remember the temp gauge your looking at is Water temp threw the engine and theres no gauge or way to check a fuel pump temp.
    Last edited by mmandley; 06-01-2009 at 05:53 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thank for the reply.

Where is the fuel pump located. Also if that is the problem would it be likely that the boat would start up and run fine in my driveway the next morning?

Adam

Yes if that was the issue, vapor lock it would start as soon as you cooled it off because vapor lock is the liquid fuel vaporizing. The fuel system cant pump air.

As fare as its location it sounds like it should be under the rear seat, under the fiberglass panel there. Lower corner you can see the side of the fuel tank and should be able to follow the fuel lines.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Yes if that was the issue, vapor lock it would start as soon as you cooled it off because vapor lock is the liquid fuel vaporizing. The fuel system cant pump air.

As fare as its location it sounds like it should be under the rear seat, under the fiberglass panel there. Lower corner you can see the side of the fuel tank and should be able to follow the fuel lines.
    I meant if the fuel pump was the issue would it start fine the next morning?

Adam

Fuel pumps can do a lot of funny things. Yes it could work the next morning because its cooled off also and would work normally. When it gets hot from using it then you shut the boat off. The pump is cooled by the fuel flowing threw it, so when you shut it off it gets hotter.

Some fuel pumps ive read about on this forum run great then do what yours does, then run great for a few hours again. Fuel pumps are tricky to diagnose but between the pump and fuel filter, one of these is generaly causing ost of the problems in the fuel system.

You can start by just replacing the fuel filter, even if its not the main issue your going to have to replace it with a new pump anyhow.
    [COLOR="#696969"]