Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 04 LXV Heater problem?

I'm having a problem with the heater in front of the drivers seat. It has 2 hoses attached to it. I would guess these hoses are to heat up the air coming out of the heater. They are both leaking HOT water really bad. I took both of them off and cut the ends and reconnected them thinking it was a bad connection. That didn't help.

Any opinions?

It is just like a car setup. Hot water from the engine is routed thru a small radiator core, a fan blows air across the core and you get the hot air thru the flex hoses and vent. I would suspect that the core has a leak since you said the water lines at tight going into the heat box. MIght get lucky have a radiator repair it or have to replace. It appears one can buy replacements directly from heatercraft.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ajsboat View Post
    I'm having a problem with the heater in front of the drivers seat. It has 2 hoses attached to it. I would guess these hoses are to heat up the air coming out of the heater. They are both leaking HOT water really bad. I took both of them off and cut the ends and reconnected them thinking it was a bad connection. That didn't help.

Any opinions?
    What part of the country do you live? It sounds like you have a ruptured heater core?

I replaced mine last year from pulling it out of storage too early while having some warranty work done on it. Don't have the dealership repair it as they will overcharge the hell out of you. I found a complete heater core and housing online for about a $100 new. I can't remember the website but you can search. Or you can remove the complete housing and open up the casing and remove the heater core and bring it to your local auto parts dealer. It should cost no more than $60 for a new one. You remove the heater core by going to the stern (front) of the boat and removing the seat cushion right in front of the driver. It helps to be a medium to smaller stature person since it's a little cramped weezling yourself in there. Me and my buddy are both big guys and we managed but it would of been easier if we had a smaller friend help. But neverless anybody should be able to do it. You unscrew the housing from about 8-10 points and remove the hosing from both sides. Some water will come out of course but that is to be expected.

It's really a easy do it yourself fix. I believe my local Moomba/Supra dealership quoted me $350. Ha, what a joke.

Thanks for the information.

I try that.

Are you seeing steam from the vents when the heater is turned on?

Yes but only for a short time after i turn it on, until it clears it out I guess.

BUT stream almost constantly comes out even when the heater is not on.

I was roasting in the drivers seat the whole time between the 95 degree temp and the stream coming from under the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by ajsboat View Post
    Yes but only for a short time after i turn it on, until it clears it out I guess.

BUT stream almost constantly comes out even when the heater is not on.

I was roasting in the drivers seat the whole time between the 95 degree temp and the stream coming from under the dash.
    Yep, your heater core has ruptured. You need to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddXLV View Post
    Yep, your heater core has ruptured. You need to replace it.
    Thanks Todd I try and replace that.

One question though, If that is the case why would cause the tubes to start leaking. Possible because the flow is being obstructed? And to much pressure for the tube to take?

Sled491 Guest

Freezing water in the core will cause a rupture. For now you can just bypass the heater core by linking the 2 lines, especially if it's in the 90's by you already

Quote Originally Posted by sled491 View Post
    Freezing water in the core will cause a rupture. For now you can just bypass the heater core by linking the 2 lines, especially if it's in the 90's by you already
    Thanks that is a possibility however in FL where I live I don't think it got cold enough to freeze last winter.