Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Trailering Boat Long Distances - Protection for Front End/Hull?

I am going to be taking my new Outback down to a friend's lake house in GA a couple of weeks from now. It will be about a 5 hour drive and I was wondering if there was any ingenious ideas and/or products that were made to protect the hull of the boat (front end) from road debris or anything that my Yukon tires might throw up at it? I was thinking about attaching a tarp to the front end and wrapping it around to protect it. Might look goofy, but I do not want to mess up the hull of the boat with any foreign objects.

Any thoughts?

A set of mud flaps might be easier. I do a lot of towing and I'll get a little road scum but usually don't see any pebble marks or anything. Stay away from new blacktop though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have a Chevy Avalanche truck. I have towed my boat from Witchata, KS to OKC, OK then to Pensacola, FL and then to San Diego, CA and then to Pensacola, FL. I have also made a trip from Pensacola, FL to Tampa and back. I have never had any "protection" on the front of my boat and I have never had any damage. During rain storms, the boat does get very dirty, but nothing that won't wash off.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

there is a trailer hitch mounted mud flap setup out there.. not sure who makes it.. but look around RV sites.
    Wrap front of hull with Saran wrap....tarp will flap..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

NOOOOOOOOOO! Please don't mention saran wrap. Not this close to the weekend.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I would not use a tarp! Its likely that the wind would make it "flap" and damage your gel coat. I've towed the boat 2-4 hours at a time with nothing to protect it and I have also not had any issues.

If you are really concerned with it I would just buy a few rolls of blue 3M masking tape and apply strips to the areas of concern.

Like this:

I have done this with my autocross car and it always worked perfectly.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    A set of mud flaps might be easier. I do a lot of towing and I'll get a little road scum but usually don't see any pebble marks or anything. Stay away from new blacktop though.
    Good thought.

Side note...my dad grew up in Tallahassee and graduated from Leon High in the early 60's. We used to go down there often to visit my grandmother. I think she used to live on Old Fort Dr. near Capitol City CC. I believe my dad still owns a lot of the land around Lake Munson (it has been in his family a couple of generations...some of the roads are named after my grandmother and grandfather). Though I believe he is in the process of trying to sell it back to the city (it is not worth much and I think has some flood zone issues).

My wife is a realtor if you need any help. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll give you her contact info if you like. I've only been here 5 years. Used to live in IL and Mom is from Vero Beach area in FL.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ian, good idea as well. Maybe I should not worry about it though. The thought of extra protection crossed my mind since this is the first time I will be towing the boat long distances.

What lake are you going to?
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!