Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need help finding a slalom ski

With fathers day coming up I decided its time my dad got a new ski. He has been slaloming for years, but always on a cheapo Fleet Farm ski. I would say he is on the low end of intermediate and rides 30-32 mph on a 70' rope and will never go anywhere near a course. He's about 5'10 and 185 pounds.

Also, Id like to keep it fairly cheap... 300-400 if possible?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    '06 Outback V

obrien world team a classic and still a great ski.

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/produc...3&merchID=4006
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

trebor - To get you started here, I ski a Connelly FX1. Bought it new in 2007. I am 6'2" and 180 pounds, and ski for fun. Open water. Last time on a course was 20 years ago. Ski is rigged with a double boot. I really enjoy the ski, but honestly have nothing to which I can compare it. Not sure what is its equivalent in today's Connelly line. I think it's in your price range. Bet you could find a good deal in a used one, and still make your dad really happy. Hopefully some of the better skiers will chime in here for you. They will certainly have some thoughts on ski and price. Thanks for thinking about you dad! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Default Help Finding a Slalom Ski

I'm Just a Free skier but love to carve it up! I'm 185 5'10 &1/2" and Love the Connelly FX 68". Shaped for easy Starts and stable and forgiving! Here the best price I've seen on it in a long time! It's at Overtons for $239.00

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...3&merchID=4006

Peace
    Darren
    FamilyMatters

2009 Outback

Ok thanks guys. I do have 1 other question though. How do you feel about 2 boots vs. 1 boot and a slip-in. Are 2 boots definitely better, or is it just a preference thing?
    '06 Outback V

Definately 2 boots. Much more control without having to worry about the rear foot slipping out on the turns.
    '09 OBV

its prefernce but, i went from a RTP to a double boot last year and loved it.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

This is perfect timing - I'm checking out the same thing for my Dad. Not only won't he go near a course, he won't go near a double boot ski either.

He currently skis on an old Callaway Gardens wooden ski that I keep trying to use for starter wood in a fire and he won't let me near it. Delaminated, and cracking... you can see sunlight through it... he needs a new ski.

He usually ends up dropping a ski now - he's 5'10'', 180ish, and 65 years old..... so I'm looking for something easy and hopefully less squirrely but nothing to take away that pride. Connelly FX??
    2010 LSV

I had to find my Dad a Taperflex wooden one with the white woodgrain on the bottom a few years back. Not an easy ski to find anymore. One of the nephews broke his back in the late 80's and he whined about it for 20 years. I got a bug about it so I went on ebay every day for a month and found one. He about crapped his pants when we gave it to him. I don't think he's skied in about 3 years now-- he turned 70 in April. His twin brother always skied on an old wooden thing that said "Banana Peel" on it. I think it got sold with a boat way back and he cried about it for 30 years. What a piece of crap that one was.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trebor-75 View Post
    How do you feel about 2 boots vs. 1 boot and a slip-in.
    trebor - After years of skiing with a rear toe piece, I moved up to a double boot. With a hard pull accross the wake, I REALLY like the security. Have never injured a foot or knee as result of a failed release. Takes some getting used to balance with both feet locked in on a deep water start. Can be hard on lower back muscles, too. For sure, dragging a foot is easier. In the end it's a matter of personal preference and comfort level. - Deerfield
    Last edited by deerfield; 06-15-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles