Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Ballast Bags?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Effingham, IL
    Posts
    74

    Default Ballast Bags?

    Just got my first boat this year... 2006 Mobius XLV. Got a quick question about the ballast. With the main valve open, should the bags fill with water up to the lake level on their own? When I am sitting still, the bags will slightly fill with water, without turning the pump on. I thought the ballast pump would prevent water from entering the bags until it was turned on. Is there something I may be forgetting, or do you turn the main valve on and off everytime you want to use the ballast? Thanks for the help!
    2006 Mobius XLV

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North End Lake Lanier GA
    Posts
    8,090

    Default

    Not positive on the XLV. I have and LSV but there's tons of people who can help with your ballast and tell ya what to look for here. Give it a few hours or the afternoon and you will get lots of responses im sure. Also there's a lot of posts on Ballast under Modifications.

    My ballast never fills on its own. I can be out all day and it never fills unless i hit the switches. I have more issues trying to get it to drain then fill LOL. My aerator pumps love to get air in them.

    Only thing i can offer is there's small black levers on each solenoid and if there in the open position they will full the ballast automatically. Or your solenoid might have a weak spring and leaking water by.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >

    https://vimeo.com/59208513?from=outro-local

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Only thing i can offer is there's small black levers on each solenoid and if there in the open position they will full the ballast automatically.
    This is the first thing to check for sure. How quickly is water coming in?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Effingham, IL
    Posts
    74

    Default

    The water seems to flow in at the rate of gravity. It stay's approximately 1/4 full while sitting still. It will not completely fill up until I turn the pump on.

    Another thing is that I turned on the right ballast only and both rear bags filled up? I'll have to dig around and see if I can find a problem, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    2006 Mobius XLV

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    599

    Default valve

    Which bag is it? Sounds like one ofyour valves is not sealing. Had the same problem this year. Took the valve apart and had a piece of grass in it. 5 minute fix. This was on my supra ssv.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North End Lake Lanier GA
    Posts
    8,090

    Default

    Along the same lines here.

    Once again yesterday i was working in the boat and my center locker < Ski locker > bag is completely full of air. I am constantly having to unhook this bag and bleed air out of it.

    Is this normal or something i can do? I have herd of putting tape over the drain hole but do i really have to put tape on my boat?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >

    https://vimeo.com/59208513?from=outro-local

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbheuerman View Post
    The water seems to flow in at the rate of gravity. It stay's approximately 1/4 full while sitting still. It will not completely fill up until I turn the pump on.

    Another thing is that I turned on the right ballast only and both rear bags filled up? I'll have to dig around and see if I can find a problem, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Check to make sure the lever is oriented in the proper position on the valve. Also, check the solenoids when you flip the switch on the dash (have someone else do it) to make sure only the one for that switch is opening. It sounds like one of your valves is stuck open, so it's filling a little while running, and as soon as you turn on the fill pump, it fills completely.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Along the same lines here.

    Once again yesterday i was working in the boat and my center locker < Ski locker > bag is completely full of air. I am constantly having to unhook this bag and bleed air out of it.

    Is this normal or something i can do? I have herd of putting tape over the drain hole but do i really have to put tape on my boat?
    Is there not a dedicated vent line for the center bag? There should be three connections, fill, drain and vent. Make sure the vent line is clear of obstructions and the hose isn't kinked. Something is going on there, because the air should just bleed out through the vent line as water is pumped in.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbheuerman View Post
    The water seems to flow in at the rate of gravity. It stay's approximately 1/4 full while sitting still. It will not completely fill up until I turn the pump on.

    Another thing is that I turned on the right ballast only and both rear bags filled up? I'll have to dig around and see if I can find a problem, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    This is almost certainly the little black lever on the solenoid. It overrides the dash switch so if it's horizontal, the solenoid is always open and would cause the issues you are describing. Study the pic below and you can see the little plastic black levers. They should be in the position shown.



    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Along the same lines here.

    Once again yesterday i was working in the boat and my center locker < Ski locker > bag is completely full of air. I am constantly having to unhook this bag and bleed air out of it.

    Is this normal or something i can do? I have herd of putting tape over the drain hole but do i really have to put tape on my boat?
    Yes, air is getting in thru the drain fitting and hose. If you don't want to tape the drain fitting, you can disconnect the drain hose at the bag.

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwm View Post
    Is there not a dedicated vent line for the center bag? There should be three connections, fill, drain and vent. Make sure the vent line is clear of obstructions and the hose isn't kinked. Something is going on there, because the air should just bleed out through the vent line as water is pumped in.

    No, there is no vent line on the bags from the factory. There is a vent hole on the bags but they are just plugged.
    Al

    2006 Mobius LSV

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,840

    Default

    I have the same issue with my front bag, fills with air by the time i get to the lake and consequentlty i can never get the bag full as it won't purge the air. There has to be a solution to this but i just haven't had time to pursue it. Anyone figures it out then post it 'cause i'd love to actually use the freaking bag!
    2007 Mobius LSV

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    No, there is no vent line on the bags from the factory. There is a vent hole on the bags but they are just plugged.
    So what if you remove the plug and added another fitting & hose and T it into the drain? Theoretically that should allow the air to purge as the bag fills right?
    2007 Mobius LSV

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •