Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Ski Pylon Replacement. Please Help!

I'm trying to help a friend out with re-mounting his ski pylon. He's got a '03 Outback, and the previous owner removed the ski pylon. The pole came with the boat, but the previous owner lost all the mounting hardware below the floor.

What I'm hoping to get from you guys is possibly a few pics of the hardware under the floor in a '03 outback. Then we could more closely fabricate the parts we need. Even better would be getting the hardware from someone who has these parts lying around. Moomba says they're not available from them.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise you could provide!

Steve.

I can't imagine what could be missing other than the bolts. I don't have immediate access to my boat, but I'm fairly certain the the mounts are welded in. The pylon should slide into the mount and there are three or four bolts with jam nuts for securing. I can't imagine they went to the extent of cutting out the mounts as they are below the floor and out of the way. My Outback is a '99, but I can't imagine they changed much as it's very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynes345 View Post
    I can't imagine what could be missing other than the bolts. I don't have immediate access to my boat, but I'm fairly certain the the mounts are welded in. The pylon should slide into the mount and there are three or four bolts with jam nuts for securing. I can't imagine they went to the extent of cutting out the mounts as they are below the floor and out of the way. My Outback is a '99, but I can't imagine they changed much as it's very simple.
    I have to assume that the guy was making room for ballast bags. You can see where the mounting plates were removed from either side of the bilge, right below the floor panel. Also, the plate that connects to the fin bolts was also removed. We've got nothing but the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by sortloff View Post
    I have to assume that the guy was making room for ballast bags. You can see where the mounting plates were removed from either side of the bilge, right below the floor panel. Also, the plate that connects to the fin bolts was also removed. We've got nothing but the pole.
    Ouch. I'm sure somebody will drop in some pics for you. I have to go to Grandma and Grandpas this weekend, so the only boat I'll be by is a big old pontoon. There was an earlier thread on this board from somone who wanted to remove the pylon. General consensus from the Outback DD gang was that it would be bad karma.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Waynes345 View Post
    Ouch. I'm sure somebody will drop in some pics for you. I have to go to Grandma and Grandpas this weekend, so the only boat I'll be by is a big old pontoon. There was an earlier thread on this board from somone who wanted to remove the pylon. General consensus from the Outback DD gang was that it would be bad karma.
    I totally agree! This boat's made for skiing.

That thread was right here (you may get some parts you need if you contact them):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....t=pylon+remove
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Red face '97 vs '03 outback???

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    That thread was right here (you may get some parts you need if you contact them):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....t=pylon+remove
    Would these boats be close enough to the same for this hardware to be interchangeable?? I know that the body style changed in '03. Just wonderin'.

Anybody?? I guess everyone's out skiing!

Nah, we just don't know the answer. There was a change in there between those years but very few people remove the pylon so we just don't have any idea.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Smile spoke to Moomba Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Nah, we just don't know the answer. There was a change in there between those years but very few people remove the pylon so we just don't have any idea.
    Spoke to Rob, and he said the part for the '03 was no longer available, since they switched from steel to aluminum in '04. He said the outback hasn't changed since '03, so the new part should work in this boat. He did say there might be some minor mods required, but it should be much better than fabricating from scratch. part #104664 $255.28.

It should also get the good ski karma back that was lost when the pole was removed in the first place!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.