Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I feel I may have opened pandoras box by even mentioning them! Quarter turn solenoid valves are essentially automated ball valves. The benefit of them over diaphragm or plunger type valves (like Moomba used) is that when open, they do not impede flow at all. They can be actuated by a number of methods including air (pneumatic) or electricity. Obviously we would want the electric variety for this application.

Now the bad news; I've yet to find a reliable source that sells them for an affordable price! I found one distributor once that had them for $60, but they are no longer in business. I hate to quote prices that are too high, for fear of someone finding a lower source.

Typically they cost between $100-150 for a decent metal body valve that will actually survive being used in a boat. So what does that mean? There is absolutely NO way quarter turn solenoid valves make sense from a dollar and sense perspective. For much less money you could install a single 2000GPH Rule pump for each bag, and have a faster more simplified system. The theoretical maximum amount of water that 3/4" hose can flow at the pressures we're talking about is around 2000GPH, it would be one thing if someone made a 6000GPH (2000GPH x 3 bags) pump that was affordable, but there's nothing out there with that capacity unless it's gasoline powered.

If it was my boat, I would remove the sprinkler valves, replace the Rule pump with some Tsunami's and check valves and be done with it. That's the cheapest, most flexible, fastest and most reliable system you could come up with.

Wow sounds like big winter project for me and Fierah. I figure after the summer ill be wanting more ballast and better fill times by then. Following this all and trying to keep up hee hee.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Jason,

Will the vented loop act as a check valve or will one need to be installed in the fill line in addition to the vented loop?

Jason, thank for the answers-sounds like I could be at max mods for my system.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Also, why not just add two rule pumps in addition to the existing one rather than three tsunami pumps? Wouldn't the Rule pumps provide more GPH (2000) over the Tsunami's (1200) and we already have one pump in place?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions.

Jeff

Jason
    Thanks for the info this morning. Just went to the website and ordered 3 of the vented loops from you. Again, thanks for all the info and insight on our sprinkler system that we have in the boats. I also hope that this will be the last test. I really do not want to take my boat out in the middle of the lake and burn it. J/K
    Tazz (Mark)
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Mark,

It's too much work to keep the fire going. we'll just have to drill a few more holes in it and sink it See, an 09 may be in your future after all

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Wow sounds like big winter project for me and Fierah. I figure after the summer ill be wanting more ballast and better fill times by then. Following this all and trying to keep up hee hee.
    We'll find a weekend in the fall to upgrade your system all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by dapjeff View Post
    Will the vented loop act as a check valve or will one need to be installed in the fill line in addition to the vented loop?
    Yep, it provides the same functionality in preventing water from flowing either direction.

Also, why not just add two rule pumps in addition to the existing one rather than three tsunami pumps? Wouldn't the Rule pumps provide more GPH (2000) over the Tsunami's (1200) and we already have one pump in place?
    Absolutely no reason at all, other than size. I would need to do some back-to-back testing to see what the actualized speed increase is with the Rule pump, but I have the feeling other restrictions (W736 connectors, W742 elbows, bends in hose, etc.) are going to make the difference between the two almost zero. The T1200's are much smaller than the Rule pumps, which makes them easier to fit in the crowded bilge compartment.

Any aerator pump would work though, just take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by tazz3069 View Post
    Jason
    Thanks for the info this morning. Just went to the website and ordered 3 of the vented loops from you. Again, thanks for all the info and insight on our sprinkler system that we have in the boats. I also hope that this will be the last test. I really do not want to take my boat out in the middle of the lake and burn it. J/K
    Tazz (Mark)
    A funeral pyre would definitely not be the best way to complete your ballast system.

Mark,

It's too much work to keep the fire going. we'll just have to drill a few more holes in it and sink it See, an 09 may be in your future after all
    That's one way to justify an upgrade!

Finally got the boat on the water this weekend and tested out the valves. I did not have any issues with them. They definately filled way faster than the old tiny sprinkler valves that were from the factory. They did not let any water through while closed and the boat running. I eneded up slalom skiing at 28 mph and still no water entered any of the three bags. When we fill the bags, it was way faster. I almost wish I had gone with the 1" valves, I instead installed the 3/4" ones. I was worried about having enough pressure to open the larger ones and just wen with the 3/4".
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Congrats Jesse.
    Maybe that was my problem. I have 1" intake and valves. I am still waiting for my vented loops to come in. I really hope this fixes the problem. If not, I have one more try at a different product.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!