Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Also worth mentioning was that he conceptualized and developed the first elevated binding system while he was in prison. When he was released he couldn't use the O'Brien name as it had been sold to Coleman (recalling from memory) so he came up with the name HO.

Man, I have been out of Slalom skiing for over 20 years and that story brings back memories!
    Last edited by Canuckle Head; 06-09-2009 at 05:39 PM.

[QUOTE=Canuckle Head;66399]Man, I have been out of Slalom skiing for over 20 yearsQUOTE]

Canuckle Head - How come you got out of slalom skiing? More important, what's it gonna take to get you back? Saw on a different post that you bought an Outback V. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Sled491 Guest

I guess one could just Google all these myths and find the correct answers. But all in all still makes for some great reading!

[QUOTE=deerfield;66402]
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle Head View Post
    Man, I have been out of Slalom skiing for over 20 yearsQUOTE]

Canuckle Head - How come you got out of slalom skiing? More important, what's it gonna take to get you back? Saw on a different post that you bought an Outback V. - Deerfield
    Very long story but I'll try to shorten it for you. I really don't want to hijack this cool thread.

I grew up in the interior of British Columbia on Okanagan Lake in a town called Vernon. Waterskiing was a huge part of my life growing up. Started skiing at age 7 and never looked back. Used to compete in slalom on an amature level and really enjoyed it.

When I was about 20 years old my parents sold our boat for a Sailboat and at the time I was a University Student with zero cash. Moved to the West Coast (Vancouver Island) and discovered surfing while getting my degree. (Surfing has been a huge passion and part of my life for the past 19 years. Man time flies!)

Then I got married to a woman who also grew up on a lake here on Vancouver Island and now have 2 boys aged 5 and 2. Up here where I live, surfing is a wintertime activity (September - May) and it leaves the summers open for other interests. So, because we were both boat enthusiasts in our childhoods, we had been talking about getting a Lake boat for some time.

What really sealed the deal was that I have a brother and sister-in-law (my wife's sister) who live in Lake Oswego (Portland Oregon Area) and they pretty much got me back into wakeboarding and wakesurfing. For the past two summers we've been going down there for a week or so to hang out on the Willamette as at the time they didn't live on the Lake. (Private Lake)

In fact, we bought the Outback V off of them as they now live on Lake O and I guess they really frown on wakeboard boats. I liked the fact that the Outback V allowed me to be able to do all 3 things I love. (Wakeboard, Wakesurf and waterski) so we bought it from them and moved it up here. It has been very well maintained and had 90 hours on her when we got it. Pristine condition really.

So about two weeks ago I dug out my old 66" Connelly HP Graphite, lubed up the old double wraps (the rear top of the rear boot snapped off in my hands when I put it on) and re-lived a bit of my past. 34 mph and 1st shortline and I was grinning from ear to ear! (Not in a course BTW)

So, here I am back in the saddle thinking I might need to upgrade the ski. The technology seems to have improved since my absence from the sport. I weigh about 190lbs and am 6'1" so is the ski I now have too small? I see that Connelly still makes the HP Graphite but I imagine the materials have changed/improved?

And, because the I ripped the boot, I now face the dilema of buying new bindings for it or do I simply replace the ski? If I replace the ski, do I go with another Connelly or do I go with something else? I see Herb O now has Radar and of course HO is still around. Does Kidder exist anymore? I'm feeling pretty old school and would appreciate some input. Any suggestions?

Canuckle Head - Great to see another family steeped in water sports and glad to hear that after all those years you are back on the water with a boat -- especially a Moomda. My dry spell without boat or skiing lasted from '86 to '06. I bought an Outback in '07, am riding a Connelly F1X (double boot), and having a great time. Some of the guys who watch this topic are pretty accomplished skiers (that's not me) who can offer some great advice as you get back into skiing. Thanks! Now, back to the myths...... - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Smile

The Connely Hp is still around but as you thought there are many other models as well. That ski of yours sounds to be a bit small,probably a 67,68 would be about right depending on what you want out of the ski. Kidder is D3 i believe. Do a little research its very easy to do and theres a few of us on here who will give you more advice if wanted. New boots or parts are a possibilty as well . There is a huge selection of skis and brands etc its up to you to try to find what you want. We all seem to have our preferences but one thing we all tend to go with is IF you can demo a ski or someones similar to see how the ski performs if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    we have an old obrien world team that is green on green. it whistles. don't ski it much though.
    Still have O'brien Competor (black/siver on green) that I bought about 30 years ago for $100 from a pro shop that was going out of business. That thing would whistle as well. Cut so hard on it one time that it came out from under me and slaped me in the face and knocked my front teeth out. Still a good ski but needs new boots.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

Quote Originally Posted by SEARK View Post
    Still have O'brien Competor (black/siver on green) that I bought about 30 years ago for $100 from a pro shop that was going out of business. That thing would whistle as well. Cut so hard on it one time that it came out from under me and slaped me in the face and knocked my front teeth out. Still a good ski but needs new boots.
    Well, if you had to replace your front teeth I imagine that ski cost you more than $100.00 eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle Head View Post
    Well, if you had to replace your front teeth I imagine that ski cost you more than $100.00 eh?
    Well if you want to look at it like that, I guess it did.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

Sled491 Guest

Man I loved that ski. Was my 1st double high wrap ski. Many manufactuers now are using there high end molds with slower moving materials. This way you get a great performing ski with all the charatistiscs of a pro ski but a little more forgiving and a little slower out of the turn, allowing you to ease back in to the sport while not wanting fro some grip and angle.

Glad to have you back in the fold!