Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default transmission and v-drive fluid

I am going to be changing these fluids today. I am just going to pump out the trans fluid and refill it. But now for the v-drive i will pump out what I can but then should I take out the actual drain plug to get the rest? Isnt there a filter screen that I need to clean?

I was thinking about doing the same thing before summer. How many hours before these need to be done? I have just under 150 right now.
    06 Outback V

Not sure about the filter screen, but the manufacturer recommends changing both of these fluids at the 20 hr mark and then every 100 hours or annuallys whichever comes first. I just suck mine out using a fluid sucker and then refill, very easy.

I'm going to be doing this in the very near future since my dealer went bust. Now a few questions:

1) What brand of fluids should be used to refill?
    2) What is a good style/brand of "sucker" to use for draining the fluids?

No suggestions on a good fluid pump? I'm going to buy one tomorrow, so if anyone can reccommend something, that would be great.

Default pump

I had one from harbor freight and it was a piece of junk. Now I just use a drill pump from napa. Seems to pull the fluids out better then the hand pumps.

On the V-drive there is a filter screen on the bottom most hose where it enters the housing, should come off the left side of the pump if you are looking at it from the bow. It is about 1.5" long and is round. I cleand mine for the first time at around 200 hours and there was hardly anything on it. So now I have gone to cleaning it every other year. When you drain out the V-drive you should be able to get about a quart out of it. It is tricky to get the sucker wand all the way to the bottom of the V-drive, I have a small one about the size of a #2 pencil. I always replace it with Valvoline staight 30 (SAE 30) and would not suggest using anything synthetic. As for the Trans, you should be able to get just shy of two quarts out.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Also, the pump I use looks like the one below, I got it at a local autoparts store for around 60$. I took the top of it off and filled it with water marking every half quart with a sharpy so I knew how much fluid I had extracted. Sometimes you just don't know how much to put back so I just look at the markings on the pump and put back the same amount that I took out. Just make sure whatever you are extracting was full prior to pulling the fluid out.

Last edited by JesseC; 05-12-2009 at 03:43 PM.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

That's the one I have too. I don't know where it came from cuz my brother gave it to me after he sold his waverunner. It works great though except for the fact there are no markings for volume (see post above).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I got this one from Skidim for about $60. Well made with the measurements on it. Strong vacuum.
    Attached Images Attached Images