Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Outback DD ballast

I currently have the launch pad sofa which says it holds 1200lbs but it is very hard to fill all the way up, so I think there is problably around 1000lbs in the back and around 300lbs in the front. I'm thinking of getting 2 of the 750lbs Sumo bags for the back that would give me 1500lbs in the back. I'm big dude so I need as much wake as possible to get some air. Please give me any suggestions or ideas because the sofa is kind of a pain to use.
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I can't figure out how you would place two 750's back there, but if you want more weight, fly high makes a 1500lb sac that wraps around the engine and then put a 750 sac in the walkway or in the bow. Although this tends to be a pain in the ass in trying to maneuver around the boat. Though this should do you good.
    07 Moomba Outback

Obviously there are a lot of options for ballast, but here is some feedback I would consider.

The Outback likes weight in the front of the boat. In most applications, I would recommend a 40% front/60% rear weight distribution as a starting point, but in your boat, I would go closer to 50/50 to get the best way. You can fine tune from there to adjust the shape to your liking.

Right now you only have 23% of the total weight in the front of the boat, which means your wake is smaller, steeper and probably crumbles more than it would with more weight forward.

As a starting point, I would recommend simply adding more weight to the front of the boat. Depending on where your front bag is located, you could replace it with a larger bag, or install a second bag elsewhere up front. That will bring the bow down to make the wake bigger, make the transition longer, and keep the wake cleaner. Also, the boat will handle MUCH better, plane out faster and use less gas.

You can definitely replace the rear bag you have now with two 750s (arranged in a "V" shape in the bag of the boat works well in direct drives), but keep in mind that will require that you add even more weight to the front of the boat to get closer to a 50/50 split. A 750 in the walkway with an Integrated Bow Sac under the front seats would be a good combo with 1500lbs. in the back of the boat.

Is there enough room in the Outback to fit a intergrated bow sac like the Flyhigh or is there a different one that will work better
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I can't imagine putting that much weight in the front of an Outback, the nose loves to dip, that will take some careful manuvering!
    2013 Outback V

That's for sure!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drewdwn View Post
    Is there enough room in the Outback to fit a intergrated bow sac like the Flyhigh or is there a different one that will work better
    Nope, won't fit. That much weight in the bow of an outback would probably sink it. I used to run 3 150lb sacks in the bow of mine and would often take on other boats rollers.

i'm looking to get the most wake out of my Outback. Please give me some examples of your set ups
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I currently have a 750# in the bow walkway, I think it is closer to 700 though since its not a perfect fit. The factory 400# in the back. Then the rest of my friends will sit in the back of the boat. I had a little over 2000# of weight in the boat the other day and got a nice wake out of my DD.
    07 Moomba Outback

Wow! I thought I was crazy putting 1500# in mine. I have a 2001 which has the huge rear locker. I have a 750 in that (mostly full), (2) 260's under the front seats (mostly full), and I have (2) more 260's that I have put in different areas experimenting. They usually end up laying across the boat right behind the motor box. Wake is decent, but not fabulous. It sounds like that I have been putting too much weight in the rear according to you guys, maybe this year I will try it with more up front.