Hybrid View

Default Are you satisfied with your factory subwoofer ?

I have a 2009 Mobius LSV I'm about to take delivery on, so I've not gotten to hear the stereo yet, and being impatient as I am, I was wondering if anyone had any input on the factory 10 inch kicker subwoofer that is an option on these boats.

1. Does it peform well?

2. Can you hear it outside the boat when you're swimming? If you can, for how many feet away? I'd like for it to be audible for up to 25ft away, not really any farther than that will be necessary.

3. Has anyone tried the XS-10 FA by wetsounds ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

it's ok.
    I have had others that sound much better, but you have to consider the environment that you are trying to operate it in. it will never sound as good as the jl's in my car, or the velodyne in the living room.
    personally, we don't use the stereo much, as most of the lakes we spend time on are usually full, and I don't enjoy listening to others' music, so we try to reciprocate..

if you are really looking to shake the boat for a long ways, then upgrade. for a decent basic stereo, the gear isn't bad..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

thx for your input. I've been looking at wetsounds xs-10FA and the JL w5 series free-air subs. Just looking for something to fit in the factory spot that will give better bass response than the kickers. Then again i have not even hear it yet, I'm mostly judging kicker here by my experiences with their car pro audio subs. They were just alright was all.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

Just remember one thing Lance, if you want better bass responce then free-air is not the way to go. A sealed enclosure with a mediocre sub usually bests a free-air setup. Kickers COMP series subs are pretty good, i used one in the last boat in a 1.0cf box and it was pretty nice.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Good info. I've got a 10 and a 12 in sealed boxes, If i end up not being satisfied with the performance of the kicker, i'll most likely just throw one of those sealed boxes under the dash and connect the wires to it. They're JL but not marine grade, so i'd prob have to take the box out each week for storage. I'm sure they'd be plenty loud tho at no extra cost so that's prob what i'll do if I don't like the stock one.
    Lance Saville

2009 Mobius LSV

Lance,

The Kicker Marine 10 is often used free-air but is not a free-air sub so the performance is a compromise at best due to the mis-application.

The WetSounds XS-10FA is a great sub for free-air applications. For example, if you reinforce the foot panel hump, the XS-10FA will use the infinite bilge as its enclosure. But squeezing the XS-10FA into a tiny box to fit under the driver's dash is a poor application for this particular sub. JL Audio also makes an impressive marine free-air 10-inch but the same considerations apply.

In a small enclosure you can use a Boston Acoustics 10 (.5 f3), JL Audio 10 (.65 f3) or Kicker Automotive 10 and still fit it in underdash. Few people execute free-air subs correctly so opinions may be unfairly biased based on limited exposure. But I agree in this case that a sealed sub will perform better in a Moomba.

A system can be exceptionally loud within the confines of the bath tub, but the energy quickly dissipates in an open field environment. Its an inefficient pursuit at 25 ft. However, a couple of ported 12s in the port side locker (zero storage) with tons of power might get er done. But your batteries will be toast in short order trying to deliver long waveforms at that range. Its not near the challenge for tower speakers to project fullrange, less the bass, at long distances.

David
    Earmark Marine