Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering

Default Steering

OK....I am a past Sea Ray owner with an i/o stern drive. I took my new xlv gravity games out last weekend and had some trouble steering while going very slow. I realize it's a different "feel"...But in a "no-wake" zone I really struggled....And docking in a close space was difficult. Tips or advise?

Have lots of people on the boat to push you off of other boats. You still start to get a better feel for the steering over time. A little more speed also makes the steering more responsive.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Sled491 Guest

Yep it's just how it is. trying bumping the speed up just a bit, and learn to modulate the throttle both in forward and reverse when docking. Remember in reverse you only really turn to the right. Left turns in reverse are tricky at best and will take some time to learn.

Remember you now have a rudder not a lower unit where the force of the prop is directional. You need movement to make a turn now.

On the docking thing try to remember your limitations and set yourself up for a smooth landing before approaching the dock or landing.

We went from I/O to the Moomba also and found this was a must for us when docking while learning how the Moomba handles.

I would advise you to approach the dock at ruffy a 30 degree angle and use the in gear out of gear way to control speed and drift. Once close turn the wheel hard right to swing the rear of the boat in. The whole thing is practice, practice practice.

Just remember to only go as fast as your willing to hit something advice.

Aqua
    2005 Moomba 23 XLV
    340 HP, Clarion 5 HU, 2 Clarion wired digital remotes, 2 Wetsounds 485's, 6 Wetsounds XS 650's, 1 JL 12w6 Sub, 1 Wetsound WS420, 2 JL 300/2amps, 1 Wetsounds Sync 4 amp, 1 JL 500/1 amp. Teak swim platform, Perfect pass. Flip up Bow Light, Chrome tower Nav Light, Chrome thru hulls, Black Bimini, 2 750 Flyhigh bags, 1100 center Flyhigh bag, Acme 1235 14.25 x 14.5 prop, Dual battery system. Evolution Cover. Chrome Blower Vent Covers.

Sled491 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic View Post
    I would advise you to approach the dock at ruffy a 30 degree angle and use the in gear out of gear way to control speed and drift. Once close turn the wheel hard right to swing the rear of the boat in. The whole thing is practice, practice practice.

Just remember to only go as fast as your willing to hit something advice.

Aqua
    That's hillarious

I came from a Sea Ray I/O also. The tip that has helped me the most is to bump the throttle as often as you need to. Go into gear for a split second to get you going in the right direction, and then into neutral. Once you start going offline again, bump it into gear, and then into neutral. I'll do this pretty much every 2-3 seconds when docking, especially if it's windy.

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to basically having no control in reverse, but knowing what the boat will do is 90% of the battle.

If the wind is coming from the starboard side you can actually back up in a straight line. Agree with extra hands and extra lines.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Also with the extra hands make sure you tell them exactly what to do. Even if you have smart people onboard they dont always understand to grab the dock and hold on or walk forward.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Smile new owner 2

Im awaiting my new XLV and am switching from a Searay i/o stern also. Im a little nervous about this, mainly for my wife. She always unloads and loads as I back-up the trailer. On a single ramp with a ramp on either side, while backing down it would be best to go on the right side then? If I can learn the most here and seem like I know what I'm doing when we take it out it will help the situatoun with her. She loved the SeaRay but theres no doubt in my mind when we get it it will be worth it. Thanks-3BAGR