Hybrid View

Default Trying to decide on new ski

Well, after 15 years, I'm going to upgrade my slalom ski. I am going considering either the Connelly HP or Connelly FX. Now, I'm not sure about the FX. It appears it's only made for Overton's. It seems like it's comparable to the HP but I really can't tell. I've sent a few emails to Connelly but they haven't responded.

I'm basically looking for an intermediate ski (I'm just getting back into it) that I can grow with.

Can anyone recommend sites for research? I've looked at waterskimag.com but I can't find anything else.

Reese350 Guest

Not sure about where to do research but check out the F1-X at Wiley's (http://www.wileyski.com/catalogs/cat...showprevnext=1) for $420 with double Wiley wraps. I bought it last year and love it. I would say I'm an intermediate recreational skier.

I have the HP and love it. I have been getting back into skiing again like you and was using my friends HO mach 1. This past Christmas I got the HP and have been using it for the past 3 weekends. I love it. I'm not completely done messing around with the binding placement or the fin but it still rides great right out of the box. Also, I got the fastback binding with the hinge on it and I would recommend looking into a binding with it. it makes getting into and out of way easy. Hope this helps.

I have skied Connelly for decads. Most recently a Concept. And friends who have skied mine went out and bought new Concepts shortly there after. Having said that, I just purchased a Radar Annex - price was just too good to pass up.

If you have a local ski shop, try asking for the buy-ski-switch program, wher you buy a ski from them and then if yo are not happy they let you take out a different one till you find one you like. This used to be somewhat common - not sure it that is still true?.

My experience is that the best ski for you is the last one you had a great run with....
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

My wife's ski is the FX. It is a great shaped ski. I don't ski on it very much and it feels different than a traditional ski when turning. It turns really easy, but it "drops in" all of the sudden IMO. The overall size makes it really easy to get up on and you can ski at slower speeds.
    For open water, it would be hard to beat the FX. If you want to run the course, look at the F1X or the HO NOS (Nitro).
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    My wife's ski is the FX. It is a great shaped ski. I don't ski on it very much and it feels different than a traditional ski when turning. It turns really easy, but it "drops in" all of the sudden IMO. The overall size makes it really easy to get up on and you can ski at slower speeds.
    For open water, it would be hard to beat the FX. If you want to run the course, look at the F1X or the HO NOS (Nitro).
    Thanks. Yep, I only ski open water for now.