Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I must be lucky - my -08 hasn't started yet, but we keep it in the water 6 months of the year - maybe the fact that its wet more often helps?
    2013 Outback V

I have also not had this issue. Last year i did keep it in the water all summer. Could be the water washing down the swim deck all night long. Or that the heat could not build up on the swim deck since water is always hitting it.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Sled491 Guest

I know the few times my boat was in the driveway and not on the lift and I gave it a good pressure washing you could see the black running off the swim deck. I think Eds find is just about on the money. At first I thought it was just dirt, but I think that exhaust thing is a very good answer.

That being said, it is possible that different fuels from differnent parts of the county could have different addidives (for cleaning and such) that react differently. This would explain why some people have experienced this phenomonem (spleeling?) and why some haven't

my 07 OBV has not had the problem, I know the 08 went to a new design like gator grip and slighly softer. I have only used it the 08 season though. season two might be the trick. i hope it holds up cus saving up for a wake surfer
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

But I wonder if boats left outside have it worse also. My 03 boat did not have this problem. It has been garage kept its whole life.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

We have only had it for one season so far. So if it was outside it must have been the dealer, but we unwrapped it. The dealer had an over stock of 07's in 08'. It could be the water thing. The lake we go to is pretty dirty. I know seadeck is nice but any opinions on traxx or gator grip? Other than those alternatives. I guess we gotta deal till next year unless there is some none permanent thing to rub on it everytime we go out.
    "Pro's don't do it till they get it right, they do it until they don't get it wrong"

2007 Moomba LSV. 3,500lbs ballast
    No stereo setup just a wake monster!

Sled491 Guest

We've had the problem since year one. We did not surf until year 2 and only skied year one. This is funny though. It's not like it does permanent damage, it's just a pain in the a@# and looks bad

Smile

Like others have said there isn't really a common denominator other than pre 08. My boat is stored outside yr round and shortly after we got it it would bleed black marks almost as soon as it got wet and feet would leave tracks.We ski so our platform is mostly above water and it happened in a couple lakes.
    As i said someone suggested clear laquer so i took my platform off,taped off everthing i didn't want sprayed took lots of care to do a couple nice coats and so far 2 seasons later so far so good. I would like to change sometime soon but untill then this has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    traxx and gator grip are just too f-ugly
    Hey, I resemble that remark.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

We just bought a used 05 Outback LS (yep its blue) and you could not get near the deck w/o black going everywhere. I scubbed the bejesus out of it with comet and a stiff brush. It did not discolor the mat and after three more weekends of use, still no black residue. I assume it will come back eventually as i probably just wetsanded the damaged surface off.