Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battery thread takeoff ~ Solar Chargers

Ok so that we don't totally trash the battery thread, someone asked where to get solar chargers. Sunforce makes some nice ones rated for outdoor use for a reasonable price. Cabelas sells Sunforce and others to at a good price.

Sunforce
    Cabelas Solar Chargers

I will be adding these to mine this year, tired of dragging the batts out!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Here in Minnesota they have them at Northren tool and supply in all different sizes and styles
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial
    2007 Outback V

Sled491 Guest

So if you boat is sitting on a lift all the time would you mount the panel to the canopy frame and then run the leads into the boat under the cover during off time?

Quote Originally Posted by sled491 View Post
    So if you boat is sitting on a lift all the time would you mount the panel to the canopy frame and then run the leads into the boat under the cover during off time?
    That's exactly how it's done. I'll be adding quick connect harnesses so i can connect in seconds instead of opening the boxes and such.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

OK so what size would you use? It also seems I would be able to power my 12v lift motor with one of these as opposed to running a jumper into my boat or having a battery with tray on my dock.

Ya know i can't speak for the lift but for the charging i'm going with the small unit as it would be the same as a trickle charger.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

I only bring it up as it would kill 2 birds with one stone, and while looking at the ones from Northern and reading the reviews a guy mentions using it to open an automatic gate, so I thought hey why not!

My buddiy's lift has a 12v motor with battery and solar charger. The charge plate is no bigger than the battery. I assume it is a trickle charge. My wife gave me a "coupon" at Christmas for adding a motor and battery to mine. I'll be setting that up shortly. Our slip has a short dock and I can't get good leverage, I'm tired of cranking by hand.

The ShoreStation solar panel battery charger is $400 with 20 watts. Got to be a cheaper way.

Sled491 Guest

See that's what I'm saying. Its 700 for the motor, and if I can add one of these aftermarket solar panels for under 100 I'd be happy

Hey guys, has anybody added a battery and solar charger to their 12v lift motor? I'm getting a motor for my lift this weekend and the dealer wouldn't even look up the battery options as he said it was overkill and everyone simply runs off the boat battery. Well, I've only got one battery in my boat and would rather have a battery and charger on the lift. I've been poking around and can get a SunForce 15W solar panel with cables and a 7W charge controller for $99 at Menard's and a battery for $65 from Cost-co and with stuff to make a mount, battery box, etc, I'm still under $200. I'm checking to see if anyone has real world experience or advice. Thanks.