Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Outback Ballast Upgrade...

I've just started the upgrade process, and couldn't wait to post up what I'm doing.

We orderd the boat with the factory Gravity I setup, which is a 400lb bag under the rear seat (approx 14x14x60). I was looking at going with the 20x20x50 750lb bag from Fly High, but I wasn't super excited about loosing the extra 10" of length. So I was putzing around on eBay the other day and ran across the perfect solution; a 20x20x60 (~850lb) bag, in blue no less! I bought it from seller 'MaxWakeMaxFun', here is a link to his eBay items page:
    http://stores.ebay.com/MaxWakeMaxFun

I got it 'Buy it Now' for $65 shipped, so I figured even if it wasn't right it was a cheap enough experiment.

The package arrived yesterday and I played around with it in the boat. After some measurements I realized he accidentally sent me a 12x20x60 - great seller though, the correct size is already in-transit to me!

Again, this is not the size I will be using. This is 12" high, I will be using a 20" high, which should be to about the middle of the sun pad cushions:

This particular sac has 'MasterCraft' fittings. I was a bit confused by them at first, but looking at what I'm going to do I think they are actually going to work a little bit better than the Quick Release fittings. What I'm planning to do is make an extension hose to go from the middle drain and run it to the factory drain and plug in to the factory fitting. The fill hose is pretty much in the perfect spot, so I will just need to get the adapter.

Just to give an idea of the height;

The overall
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ian ashton; 04-17-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    2013 Outback V

For the front I'm planning on adding a StraightLine Launch Pad Chair (250lbs) and plumbing in the ballast fill and drain lines to hide away under the seat or something. I just need to measure the walk through in my boat to make sure it will fit properly.
    2013 Outback V

Hey Ian you will probably need more weight in the front if your planning on filling it full to 850#'s. I would say another 300# in the front on top of the 250. That is if your looking for that 60/40 ratio. Be ready for them rollers as you will be sitting deep in that water.
    07 Moomba Outback

Sled491 Guest

I was under the impression that the Outback didn't really benifit from extra wieght in the front due to it's hull design. Just to save you some effort

Quote Originally Posted by sled491 View Post
    I was under the impression that the Outback didn't really benifit from extra wieght in the front due to it's hull design. Just to save you some effort
    It really depends on how you are planning on using the boat, and what your expectations are as far as the wake is concerned.

Will you be using the boat for surfing as well as wakeboarding? If so, it maybe more important to have weight up front in order to make the pocket long enough.

ian, from the pics does this mean you lose the whole back seat.???

I want to convert from ballast I to III but weighing all these new mods everyone has done.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Sled491 Guest

JV, You would have to leave the back seat in the sundeck position for the regular outback. BUt looking at Ians pics, even that looks iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Limishowman3 View Post
    Hey Ian you will probably need more weight in the front if your planning on filling it full to 850#'s. I would say another 300# in the front on top of the 250. That is if your looking for that 60/40 ratio. Be ready for them rollers as you will be sitting deep in that water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    HINT: buy three starightline launch chairs or buy one good fly-high sac.

your gonna need those extra chairs as back-ups when the welded seams split.

Their junk
    2 birds with 1 stone - the walk through in the Outback is only 14" wide, the seat is 17". I think I'm going to go with my initial plan of moving the factory 400lb sac to the walk through.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    ian, from the pics does this mean you lose the whole back seat.???

I want to convert from ballast I to III but weighing all these new mods everyone has done.
    I think if its completely full the back seat will need to be stashed at the marina. I'm guessing I'll most often just fill it to the most I can get with the seat in the up position.
    2013 Outback V

Sled491 Guest

Ian now you just need some kind of drop curtain hanging down from the seat cushion to hide the bag from view and give it a real clean look.