Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Impellar removal quesition

Hey guys I have a quick impellar question.
    I picked up my first Moomba last year a new 07 LSV and had it winterized at a local marine shop here since we do not have a Moomba dealer.
    Anyways they winterized it and asked if I wanted the impellar pulled and I said ok.
    They phoned me back and said that it was okay and they would just put in back in.
    Now my question is can it be put back in wrong ? is there a certain way it should go in ?
    This shop is mainly a outboard repair shop and don't think they have much experience with these types of engines which is concerning me.
    I will fire it up in my driveway soon with my flush kit and as long as water is coming from exhaust and temp's are fine is it good to assume they put it back correct ?
    ________
    jailbroken
    Last edited by nitrous; 01-22-2011 at 09:29 AM.

I think you'll find in review of impeller or winterization threads, that the majority of posters replace the impeller every year. Cheap insurance. I also think that most of the winterization guides tell you to pull them in the fall and store in a baggie. As far as putting it back in, if you choose to use the old one, you'll be able to tell by the bend of the blades which way it was in. In my DD, it doesn't matter.

What's with the baggy thing? I've never pulled one yet from the housing, nor does anyone i know for that matter. Maybe it's an extreme cold thing? I don't even worry about replacing for at least two years although i do carry a replacement just in case.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    What's with the baggy thing?
    Seen other post that some pull the impeller when they winterize to check and "baggy" it. Apply some vaseline to it, place it in a ziplog bag, to let the splines/vanes rest and put back in in the spring OR cycle to backup and use new one.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

i have allway's changed it yearly or everyother year and just tossed the old one in the glove box as a spare or to let someone else use who is broke down on the lake and needs one--pay it forward type of thing
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

mine is still in, as a matter of fact, I don't even know where it goes. replaced one last summer at the dealers recommendation while doing an oil change, and decided at that point that I would replace the next one once I saw the bill, but figure that I'm good until this summer or possibly fall..
    can't be that hard to do as it only took them 2 hours for an impeller, oil change and trailer inspection.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

so as long as when I fire her up I see water spitting out the back and temp's are normal she is good and nothing to worry about ?
    ________
    marijuana vaporizers
    Last edited by nitrous; 01-22-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
    so as long as when I fire her up I see water spitting out the back and temp's are normal she is good and nothing to worry about ?
    Sure. Still a good idea to have a spare and know how to replace it if the temp starts to rise. Same with the thermostat.

I would not store it with petroleum jelly. That will break down the rubber.
    Sloppy

2001 Moomba Outback LS w/tower, ballast and 320hp Indmar TBI. 4 blade prop, front and rear ballast

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    mine is still in, as a matter of fact, I don't even know where it goes. replaced one last summer at the dealers recommendation while doing an oil change, and decided at that point that I would replace the next one once I saw the bill, but figure that I'm good until this summer or possibly fall..
    can't be that hard to do as it only took them 2 hours for an impeller, oil change and trailer inspection.
    Two hours for an oil change, an impellar change and inspecting the trailer? I'm no mechanic, but the impellar and oil change wouldn't take a pro 30 minutes and he could probably be working on two boats at the same time. Most of the time to change the impellar for me is getting it out, but usually no more than 10 minutes and plenty of time to enjoy a beer with the money saved.