Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default talk to me about boat batteries

Michael Littman, former Marketing Director at Skier's Choice. Working at an ad agency in Louisville Ky. Have a chance to work with a company that provides boat batteries for the marine industry.

Appreciate your help on this.

Curious as to your opinions on different brands of boat batteries. Got a favorite? If so, why? Good experiences with any brand? Bad? Did your Moomba dealer offer you a choice of batteries, or did you just take whatever brand they put into the boat? Does the brand of boat battery matter? Are any batteries better than others?

You get my drift. You can answer me here, or send me an email at [email protected].

As always, thanks for your good advice.

Michael

I didn't know it was an option to change batteries in my boat - we ordered our Outback from the factory last year and just accepted whatever battery they gave us. I must say that I'm rather impressed with whatever battery it is that I have. I've used the stereo with the engine off for pretty extended periods of time and never had an issue with a dead battery.

I'll also say that I wish I had a sealed battery, like an Optima, just because I like the versatility and no maintenance aspect. I'll likely "upgrade" to an Optima or similar in the future.
    2013 Outback V

I like a battery that starts my boat each time. I was not offered a choice of batteries when I bought my boat last year.
    Boat was fully charged even after the winter layup, so no complaint for whatever battery that I have.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

My old 03 lsv still has the original battery in -never been on a charger and no battery switch and has sat every winter for 2-3 months with the cover on and still starts the boat to this day--That is the best battery one could ask for. I am expecting the same out of my new 08.

Think both are interstates
    Last edited by moombadaze; 04-14-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

NO issues with my 04 Outback or my 06 LSV..
    My 2 friends with another brand of boat that comes with a fancy "Colored" top have both had issues with theirs at 1 yr and 2yr old..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Personally IMO Optimas are way over rated and over priced. I see too many have problems with them. I've had fantastic experiences with Interstates and Costco marine batts. I'm not sure who makes them but i believe it's Interstate. My '07's battery works just fine so far and my added batt is a Interstate, go figure!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

I think that your dealer gets the boat in "no battery" and they make there own deal with a local supplier for the set up. I also have not looked at the battery in my boat, and so far all has been good. In my last boat I used Interstate, in my truck I use Interstate, in my lawn tractor I use interstate. See a pattern, I think Intersate is a good battery.

These fancy color topped batteries seemed over priced and I hear a lot of complaints about them.

Not sure the brand, but the battery that came in my 07 has been a good one. First time out this year it started with no hesitation whtatsoever. Now I'll have to look and see what kind it is.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

Interstates are good batteries and thats what came in my 06 but......If your running a decent system in your rig and dual batteries you'll want a battery with the most amp hours. Interstate doesnt rate amp hours on alot of there batteries they do reserve hours. If you check up on it reserve hours are basically about 40% of amp hours, not good. I run 3 27 series batteries from WalMart. They were $35 less than the 27 series Interstates and have a 2 year replacement. The Walmart battery has 115 amp hours, the interstate has 160 reserve capacity. So that only less than 70 amp hours for that battery. I've allways run Interstates and like them, just not for my application.

I agree with Razzman, the Optimas arent worth them money you can get better for less. Actually doesnt Interstate make the Optima line? Better AGM batteries like Deka's, Oddysey or Kinetic if your looking to go that direction.
    Last edited by byronkoz; 04-14-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    06 Outback V

have the factory batteries in my '06. charged them both yesterday for the upcoming weekend first outing, and both are healthy. haven't spent any time on them prior, so I figure that's pretty good to get 3 solid years with no time invested. I figure that I'll be replacing them sometime this year, but who knows....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten