Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Police

yea, zabooda is correct. those are guidelines from some agency, but not the law. there was talk up in northern idaho about banning it, but I never did hear how they fought it. never passed. I have heard it is banned on part of the columbia river over in oregon and again, not sure how it passed. there have been attempts to change, but I have heard they were not successful.
    just glad that we haven't seen any issues with it down in southern idaho..

I am guessing that part of the issue lies with uninformed officers/parks&rec/county people, and once it's on an agenda, not enough of a turnout to sway decisions, not enough vendor/manufacturer support to fight(kind of like sema on the auto side), and the bad rap that seems to follow our boats, ie loud music, big wakes, lots of young kids drinking etc...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I was followed by a Police boat last year while surfing. Hottie officers followed us a bit until i got tired and jumped back in the boat where I quickly hid the comp vest I was wearing. All she did is say how sweet it was and wanted to watch more!

I am also lucky enough to have a college buddy that rides all the time who is a DNR officer. Talked to him about sufring and our rails we have in our river. He said in Ohio these are not illegal and he has been working at teaching other officers about surfing and the water sports lifestyle to help us avoid some tickets. Just want to say it is great to know some officers have our side!

It's not an issue on our lake yet. It doesn't even get patrolled unless it's the 4th of July. Lots of idiots out that day. Game & Fish more worried about catching people with no fishing license or too small a fish. We get checked about every other year for lifejackets.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

Angry quit bashing the cops

let me start by saying i am a cop and an occasional wakesurfer. i read thru these threads quite a bit in the off season & gather some pretty useful stuff. i've been a member for a few years, though you wouldn't think it based on the few number of posts i've made. but i am going to pipe up a little here because a few of you who choose to bash cops are pissing me off.

first of all, cops don't make the rules, they enforce them. THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE PAID TO DO - whether they agree with the law or not. if their boss says enforce the law/ordinance on being towed too closely behind a boat, who are they to tell their boss to piss up a rope. imagine what your boss would do if you told him to pack sand after assigning you a task.

second, the law is the law. if you choose to break it, be prepared to accept the consequences. you have no one to blame but yourself - myself or no one else wants to hear you bitch about a ticket you got if you know what is legal / illegal going into the situation that you got "harassed" over.

third, the cops are there to make the boating experience a positive and safe environment for everyone. i've been a cop for 12 years - no not a water cop. i'll tell you first hand, there are very few of us who like breaking up someone's good time. it all has to do with keeping the good time safe and within the confines of the law.

do i agree with the "no wakesurfing law"? - NO I DON'T, but i'm not going to play "mr. tough guy" if i get pulled over for something illegal either. for those of you loading up on your "BS" when you do get pulled over - get ready for that ticket. i'll also be the first to tell you, as a cop, that if you give me a hard time, i'm going to jack you up for everything i can. polite and apologetic people get the breaks. show me a disorderly person, and i'll show him 50,000 volts. just because you are in a nice inboard that costs more than he makes a year, doesn't mean he won't have the last laugh. for those of you who plan on taking your ticket in court, all i have to say is good luck. one thing i've learned over the years of going to traffic court is ARTICULATION , or justification for the ticket. unless the judge is a wakesurfer himself or his kids do it, you better bring your A game. and if that cop loses, guess what - more than likely he's getting paid your tax dollars to be in court on overtime.

all you guys bitching about the water cops not being there when someone is doing something you don't like also need to understand something - there are only so many cops out there. if there were a cop on every lake during all hours of watersports activities, you'd bitch even more. and when there are only a few out and about, it is like going fishing - you can only catch one fish at a time if you only have one hook.

bottom line - if you don't agree with the laws in your area lobby with your law makers to have them changed or deal with the consequences of breaking them. quit blaming and bashing the cops.

tprkolbas..
    although I agree with almost everything you typed, you more than most, should know that this is the internet and everyone is an ethug on here
    that 5th paragraph that you typed is exactly the attitude of several cops that I have ran into and the exact reason I fight tickets(am 3 for 3 I might add)..

I think we all know if you show cops respect, some will give it back, but there are many more that won't(bet you work with a few), and all it takes is someone to have that cop for his first experience and the perception is set. cops, imo, should have much thicker skin than most and remember this as they are stopping people, remembering that they may have to undo what some other officer has left them with, but unfortunately, seems that more and more take the attitude of your 5th paragraph..

although I agree with your wording to organize and change the laws, remember that there are sometimes "grey" areas in the laws and the consequences are a ticket from an overzealous cop with an agenda.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I got no problem with cops enforcing the law. The issue I have is when they step over the line and think they are the law. Most of the people I know in law enforcement are quality people that deserve your respect. But, like in any line of work, there's always a few with an agenda. I'm always polite, and I thank them for doing a job I would not do -- then I waste a half day going to court and getting the case dismissed.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'm not a cop but tpr's comments were right on and serves as a lesson on how to act when approached by a cop. If your a smart a** when approached then expect at least a ticket. If you are courteous and respect what they are saying even if you dissagree then you get a warning and then you can persue the issue on land later. If the issue escalates then your off to jail and your boat may be impounded sitting on gravel at an impound lot.

You will be watched on the water after an issue with the law. You fight the laws and the interpretation of the laws on land.

I recently called the marine sheriff on the requirement for operators of boats to have a state operating permit when driving the boat. I have a handful of friends who drive the boat when I ski so I plan to get photocopies of their permits and keep on the boat in case they forgot theirs. I asked the sheriff if photocopies would suffice and he said they would honor those as long as they didn't look altered. So I will have the sheriff's name and supporting information if I am stopped because the law doesn't state how this is managed. The law is being phased in by age but the twenty year olds are included now.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Smile

As the son of retired cop you make some valid points.
    As a typical websurfer i think you kinda have to lighten up a bit on your comments or guess what your gonna get bashed all over the place be it here or wherever.ie 50000 volt comment.
    I totally realize you have a tough sometimes shitty job, thats why when people ask me why didn't you follow your dads footsteps,i say no F#$%g way. But you have an opinion as do others ,but maybe lighten up a bit. I'm pretty sure your gonna be pissed at my comment or others so reply if you wish.
    I commend you but like all walks of life there are good examples and bad. Enjoy lets go boating.

Stop it. You're making me hungry!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Been on our lake only 3 yrs and have been pulled over by the Dept Natural Resources (DNR) guys 2 times. First time, heading home at dusk with the old Chaparrel. My young daughters were up in the bow area and as we zipped past the DNR boat they flipped on the lights and siren. We shut down, my wife starts in on me with the "what did you do?" and I wait for them pull up and write me up some BS ticket. Nope, I'm wrong again - they throw t-shirts at the girls that have badges on them and say "I got caught! With my lifejacket on!" They tell us "Thanks" for having our kids safe and chat for a sec before they race off to bust a jetski with an adult and 2 young kids with NO LIFE JACKETS.

Second time was last year and got a nice, written warning for zinging the kids on the tube behind the jet ski. I was way back in my cove, but they spotted me from the main water. I knew I was in the wrong and explained to the girls why I was wrong and again the guys were real nice and I thanked them for doing their job.