Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FAE Install Questions

Hey guys - I just got my FAE, and am trying to do my homework before attempting the install, and have run accross a few questions. I've found some great info on these boards, so hopefully someone has run accross these answers...

I have an '05 Mobius LSV:
    1.) I know there are two methods of attaching the hanging bar to the swim platform... Either drilling and tapping a thread, or removing the platform, and bolting through the bracket only. If you remove the platform from the brackets, where does the head of the bolt go when putting the platform back on? Do you have to drill a hole in the platform? Or do you sink the bolt head into the bracket so it is flush?

2.) Is there an ideal position for the hanging bar? Should it be positioned so that the all-threads are exactly vertical? Or should they be leaning slightly towards the boat?

3.) I've read some people mention that they recommend using stainless bolts instead of the all-threads... Does this work pretty well? What length bolt ended up working if so...

Sorry for the brain dump, but I just want to have all of my ducks in a row since the boat is about 45 minutes away from my house... I'm trying to do this in one trip if possible...

Thanks!

1. If you detach the brackets, you will need to drill enough space to have the bolt top or nut. I was the first to drill and tap. Either way, you will drill into your platform a little.

2. It should be vertical. You will need to do a trail and adjust method to do that.

3. I used the all thread. You will need a bolt that fits (not trying to be a smart*ss), but I believe each application will be different. In my case, a 5.5" bolt probably would have worked. I found the all thread to be easily adjusted.

I think I spent about 6 hours total over 3 days on mine. Make sure that you have a lot of tools. Do a search for FAE install, I have a lot of pics.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Default Here

1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Ok this is going to show my ignorance but what is an FAE and what's the upside to having one?
    Why can't there be a "No Fishing" curfew for us skiers?
    2007 Outback; 325 Assault

Fresh Air Exhaust – lower noise and lower CO (no more sun headaches).

You can tap the swim platform with a ball peen hammer, I did that and put an aluminum shim on the bracket around the bolt head.

My mile long bolts are angled; I could not get them straight.

I drilled a couple screws through the rubber hose into the plastic exhaust pipe off the boat and put the hose clamp over that.

I have pictures if you search posts by me and FAE

SD2

Thanks guys -

maxpower - I've looked at the post of your installation many times both before and after I posted these questions... it's a very helpful post... I've never actually tapped a thread before, so I'm not sure I trust myself enough for my first try to be on my swim platform, so I'll probably go the route that EdG describes. But your pictures really help with understanding the whole installation process..

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get started, but thanks for the input so far!

how much is a fae?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Tapping a thread is very easy. You buy the tap and drill bit together in a pack. You drill the hole and then you screw the tap into the hole. The tap is tapered, so it is very easy. I spray a little WD-40 on as I go and every few turns, I reverse a little to get the shavings out. The tap process will take about 10 mins for both holes.
    Either way, the result will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by csm View Post
    Thanks guys -

maxpower - I've looked at the post of your installation many times both before and after I posted these questions... it's a very helpful post... I've never actually tapped a thread before, so I'm not sure I trust myself enough for my first try to be on my swim platform, so I'll probably go the route that EdG describes. But your pictures really help with understanding the whole installation process..

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get started, but thanks for the input so far!
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Is there a big difference with the FAE? (engine noise)

Default Theory test

I didn't have to fart at Christmas service, maybe I will at Easter service.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier