Thread: XLV surf setup

Hybrid View

Default XLV surf setup

Sorry for another surf ballast question but I'm trying to get a great surf for this year. We surfed all last year with pretty good results but I'm sure I can get the wake better this year. I have a 2005 XLV with Gravity III ballast system, but I'm considering adding additional weight. Can someone with an XLV give me their thoughts on ballast and wakeplate? Thank you.

That's a tasty wave all right!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I ride with a 750# in the rear locker....350# behind the driver seat and 350# up front. Obviously to whichever side you are surfing. We sometimes add lead and pull the cooler of beer to that side as well.

If there is more people in the boat I have the biggest person sit on the sun deck on the side the rider is on. The serve as the rope man and weight.

Thanks very much for the great info. Couple of other things - how much ballast do you use up front - obviously with the Gravity III ballast system I can put a fair bit of weight up front but what are you using for surfing? I am planning to grab a 750 lb bag for the rear locker - any suggestions or will a 750 lb Fly High bag do the trick? My boat is 300 miles away so can anyone give me the maximum dimensions for the bag in the rear locker. I appreciate your help.

I have the same boat. I have the 750lbs balast in the rear compartment and under the seat right behind the driver I have a 1,000lbs balast and ofcourse I make everyone sit on the drivers side. The wave is like a Sunami. Goofy footers only on my boat.

Sled491 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoTX View Post
    I have the same boat. I have the 750lbs balast in the rear compartment and under the seat right behind the driver I have a 1,000lbs balast and ofcourse I make everyone sit on the drivers side. The wave is like a Sunami. Goofy footers only on my boat.
    A man after my own heart. Wouldn't life be better if we all surfed Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel Lake XLV View Post
    How much ballast do you use up front - obviously with the Gravity III ballast system I can put a fair bit of weight up front but what are you using for surfing?
    How much weight you put up front will depend on how much weight you put in the back.

I am planning to grab a 750 lb bag for the rear locker - any suggestions or will a 750 lb Fly High bag do the trick
    A Pro X Series Fat Sac will work well. Obviously you'll want to stick with Fly High's products, as they will interface with the same fittings that are currently in your boat. I Fat Sac will completely fill your rear locker, so you'll have the most possible weight back there. One of those with 2 W736 fittings and it's plug and play with your Gravity III rear bags.

Thanks very much for the great info. Couple of other things - how much ballast do you use up front - obviously with the Gravity III ballast system I can put a fair bit of weight up front but what are you using for surfing? I am planning to grab a 750 lb bag for the rear locker - any suggestions or will a 750 lb Fly High bag do the trick? My boat is 300 miles away so can anyone give me the maximum dimensions for the bag in the rear locker. I appreciate your help.
    I also have an XLV with the 750 lb bag in the rear locker. The dimensions of the bag are 20"x20"x50", made by fly high. When you get your new bag make sure you get two Fly High 3/4" Flo-Rite Quick Release Connect also.

Default XLV Surf Setup

Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions. My two new 750's have arrived and if the snow ever stops, I will get them installed and try out the new system! Thanks again to everyone.