Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Finish got wrecked on my boat.. what can be done?

Hey, the place that winterized my boat did a hull scrub on my boat (don't know why they would of scrubbed the side since no algae gets there), but when I got the boat back it looked like the photo below.. they agreed to get it dealt with, but what kind of repairs would be required for a job like this? there about a good 10 spots like this around the boat...

what would you guys suggest, i am RETARDEDLY pissed off.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

hard to see from the photos but it looks like something "splashed" on it and ran down, could it be wet sanded and buffed out?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I would start with a vinegar and water solution. If that doesn't work, try Nu Finish car polish. After trying non abrasive products, then I would do the wet sand and buff.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Thumbs up

I would not even try to mess with it.

Every town has a good body shop. That is what these people do.

Take it to them and tell them to fix it!!!

Be prepared to pay the bill. But if your dealer is worth a sh**. They will at least spilt it with you!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Try what Max suggested. If it is some type of mineralized compound it will come right off with vinegar and water. The shop will probably try that first anyway.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

it looks like its right in the clear coat or gelcoat or whatever.. almost like a fade.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

that's the nice thing about gel coats, there deep. So the finish can be restored no probs. But I agree that from the pics is just looks like something ran down the boat.

the repair would be a wet sand, then a polish and buffing

Looks like they may have splashed acid on your boat. You can try cleaners but you'll probably have to use a rubbing compound to remove the "etching of the gelcoat" Your dealer should be able to do this for you. Either way if the dealer is the responsible for staining they should also be held responsible for correcting it.
    2011 LSV
    Loaded, 340 HP

so bumping a thread from the dead... anything this happened years ago from a negligent marine (Not a moomba dealer) while cleaning my boat for the winter (I usually always do this myself but this time was told oh let them do it.. cheap and saves you the time).. so I did it.. biggest mistake of my boating life.

The guy picked up my boat in the spring before the summer season and told me he'd take care of it and cover the costs. not knowing any better I let him go ahead. In the end, instead of repairing the gelcoat if that was possible. he brought it to a place and had it painted... (sure it came back looking good at the time) but a year or two later.. paint started chipping near edges and now it's BLISTERING!

I don't know what to do here... i'm being told by local fiberglass shops paint isn't meant to be sumerged for long periods of time... (I leave my boat in the water all summer).

so a few years later here I am.. with a problem and no solution...

is it possible... whatever the cost, to remove that paint that was applied and fix the gelcoat to get it back into it's original state?

Damage looked like this around the blue of the boat when it happened

Now look at the bubbling/blistering

2006 Moomba Mobius LSV

Find out what chemical it is and post it so that we all don't do the same thing!