Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Carpet cleaning.

What is your experience with cleaning the carpet in your boat? I had the dealer steam clean it and it didn't look much different then it did when I took it in. Its not stained or dirty but it doesn't have that rich new look. It also seems to stay matted down and has no life. I'm sure its from traffic and oils from feet and sunblock etc.
    Are there any detail secrets that you may have that would help me out?

Thanks

PWI as usual...

Ya know, I've noticed that in my boat too. But then decided the hell with it, just means I'm enjoying instead of keeping it showroom for the next guy.
    Don't get me wrong I like mine clean and take good care, but somethings I've learned to roll with. Old age sinking in I guess
    Doug
    02 Outback LS
    Howell, Mi

I've had some success by using automotive capet cleaner that typically comes in a spray can. I work the foam in by hand with a medium stiff brush, let it dry and vaccuum it up using a hand held dirt devil with a rotating brush. I't doesn't look show room new but does seem to pull up the map somewhat. Hope this helps.
    Why can't there be a "No Fishing" curfew for us skiers?
    2007 Outback; 325 Assault

I hear you MiMoomba! But my OCD haunts me when I try to let it go.
    Pressure washing is great for you southerners, but for the great moldy Northwest I dont dare.
    I may tackle it when things warm up. I've also heard of using fabric softener with a light detergent prior to pressure washing. It may help with the matting, what do you think?
    Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? Beuler?

PWI as usual...

I bought one of those steam sharks to do the grout in my kitchen. I will give that a try. Oxi clean with a bucket of warm water and a stiff brush should work well too.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

JM, yea let me know what you find.

PWI as usual...

Remember one thing about this carpet, it's rubber backed. IN fact VERY thinly rubber backed so i'm not so sure i'd use a steam cleaner if i was you or you might end up with a very wrinkled mess or areas where fibers are pulling out! If in doubt look at an edge of the carpet under the helm or somewhere like it.

I have not yet been able to bring back marine carpet to look like it was new, nature of the beast. I've used spray carpet cleaner or a mild soap and lightly scrubbing with a soft brush and while the carpet is spotless and the nap looks good, one outting and it's flat again.

Again i would caution how you clean it because if you prematurely wear it out and have to replace it your really hosed unless you seam it due to the way these boats are built.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thats Why It Is A Good Idea To Get The Big Floor Mat As An Option Or After Freom The Dealer......i Had One On My Old Malibu...take It Out And Clean It....like Foor Mats In Your Car...

That's one of the smartest things I've heard on here. Why don't we use floormats for the highest traffic areas? You can pull them out, spray them off and park them in the sun. You can custom cut a floormat or carpet runner to fit and just about any color is available. I'll have to think this over. They'll have to be heavy enough not to blow out but that's about the only drawback I see.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

For the life of me i can't remember who it was but a company was/is making a complete over carpet that just lays in place and is bordered all the way around. I'll have to see if i can find that again.
    2007 Mobius LSV