Hybrid View

Default Ski School and CC

While on vacation, I took a lesson at McCormicks (sp) outside of Tampa, FL. I am a self taught slalom skier, so I suck. The instruction was good as they immediately pointed out three things that I need to do better, which I was unaware that I was doing. I have read books on skiing, but instant feedback on form is something no book can give. I would recommend the school, but don't do it as the first ski of the season (like I did). I was tired by the end and had problems getting up the first couple of times. Also, take your own equipment.

They use Nautiques at the school, so it was fun to ride behind a different boat. I was on a CC 206, which is very compatable with the Outback. At 15 off and 28.5 mph, the CC had a slightly smaller wake, but not by much. Overall, it was nice, but not $20K more nice. It did have Zero Off and I had a chance to play around with it. It is a little more complex than the youtube video made it seem, but still pretty easy to use. It is definately a much better pull than Moomba cruise.
    I plan to get more lessons this year after I ski myself back into shape and correct the 3 items.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    The instruction was good as they immediately pointed out three things that I need to do better

maxpower - What were the three things? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Despite my thought that they were, straighten my arms. Funny, I never have tired or sore arms after skiing (and I am weak). I also lock my front leg out, so I have to concentrate to keep it bent. I lock it out in the turn and never flex it. More weight on the front foot. I pretty much knew that one, but they explained how the ski will react. They gave me a good tip for getting up, by slanting the ski.

I concentrate so much in not breaking at the waist, I think that is why my leg is locked out and I ski with too much weight on the rear foot.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I think my list would have looked more like a grocery list.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Maxpower,

Have you ever called or checked into Cory Pickos school in Destin? I know Regina Jaquess is based there and from what I hear she is a pretty good slalom skier.

maxpower - Good tips. I will keep these in mind. Maybe with these and some coaching from Sled I'll improve this year. Thanks! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    Maxpower,

Have you ever called or checked into Cory Pickos school in Destin? I know Regina Jaquess is based there and from what I hear she is a pretty good slalom skier.
    I went there last year for the Pro Tour. I will probably go there this year once I get back into ski shape and work on those areas of problems. In Tampa, the weather was perfect and I was out that way visiting family, so I went. That is why I didn't have any of my stuff.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier