Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Yes, I hope that's the way it works out too. But I don't see a lot of reason to be optimistic. Friday he told me that I could send a check to SC and they would arbitrate for us. If I agreed, he said that he would send me the contact info on Saturday. I agreed, and now it's Tuesday and... nada.
    I have been trying to use restraint, and not escalate this thing beyond control. I've avoided using the dealership name, or any personal names in the public forum. I really don't think that my emotion has overcome my reason, but, very few would admit it even if they had, I guess.
    Would it have been a nice bonus if they had kept my boat stored for me all winter? Yes, of course it would have. On the other hand, I have my own garage that costs me nothing to use. If I would have shown up at the unnamed dealership and found my boat outside with an old blue tarp or something thrown over it, I would not have been thrilled, but I probably would not have even mentioned it. But they put it our there with asolutely no cover of any kind all winter long, and walked by it everyday w/o even a phone call.
    I'm not one of those guys that is a finatic about the condition of their boat. I have a couple of young kids, and it is not a museum piece. We use it, and love it. On the other hand, I don't have all that much time, and it is important to me that when I have time to go out on the water, I don't spend my time trying to get it started or screwing around with some mechanical problem. I'm sure that leaving it outside did not cause structural problems. In fact, I'm not sure what problems it may have caused, and that's why I started this thread. Deteriorated upholstery? Speakers? Stereo? Water traveling up the steering cable and corroding it? Gel coat? Maybe nothing.
    I just asked him to look at it with me and help me determine IF there were any problems. He wigged out as if I had insulted his mother or something: using profanity, threatening me with the Sheriff and lawyers, talking about punching his employees in the nose.... I don't know. Maybe he is going through some kind of severe stress or something. A lot of people are right now. But, I don't think that makes it my obligation to just tolerate this kind of negligence and belligerence. I've asked everyone that I know to ask for informal help. If I can't get any that way, then I will reluctantly take it to the next level.

You begin to understand why many of us do all our own service. Everything you need to know is available on this site.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Angry

I am wondering if I am going to have problems with my dealer.

I just purchased a Moomba XLV Gravity Games Edition, the boat was left at the dealership so they could finish the item that needed to be installed to complete the purchase. They had to order a Z-Cargo Rack and Install the DUAL Battery PKG into the boat.

I though they understood me when I told them I did not want the boat to sit outside, and if it would let me know and I would take the boat home and bring it back when the service work needed to be performed.

So I went to the dealership yesterday and drive around the back side of the shop and see my new boat outside with 5-6 inches of fresh April snow on the cover. Thankfully it was covered, but the point is my new boat that will not sit outside is outside with 5-6 inches of snow on the new cover that is stretching the hell out of it.

The dealership is closed today and we are going to get another 5-6 inches of snow, this will equal more than a 12 inches of snow stretching out the cover.

Not sure how I should handle this with the dealer. I think at the least they will owe me an new cover. I think that will be fair!!!

Do you think that will be asking too much, or how would you handle a deal like this!!!

YOURS TRUELY!!!

A** DEEP IN SNOW IN NORTH DAKOTA!!!!

All over TEXAS west of I45! Living in Big Spring Texas.

I'm going to pick up my boat today and I'll post how it was stored. It hasn't snowed here but it will give you an idea of how a dealer should take care of something they no longer own.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
    Yes, I will be a Marine until the day that I die.

I would be finding the former employee and getting a statement from him. Once the dealer and SC knows about the statement (if it is in your favor) then the game will change. Game on!

I keep from taking anything to a dealer and I'm lucky to find good mechanics. My boat mechanic I have used for 18 years worked out of a dark and dingy warehouse building next to the river. I got word a few months back that the marina burnt down and they are out of business. I was shocked because I was afraid of having to find another mechanic so I called the shop number on a Sunday night expecting a disconnected number but I got the mechanic on the other end. I apoligized for calling on a Sunday night but he explained what happened.

About a year ago, the shop adjacent to his marina was fabricating some plastics when they started the building on fire. Him and his workers raced and got every boat out of the building (six of them) and saved some specialized tools before the building burnt down. He lost everything else and he is working out of his home under the table because the city wants that waterfront for other purposes and he is still waiting for money from the insurance companies so he can get a building.

I told him my old 1978 Glastron Carlson always needed work each year but my Moomba needed work when I bought it in 2002 but I haven't had any work done on it since so I've been out of touch with him. He told me I can come over anytime with the boat for repairs (with cash) and hopefully (knock on wood) I won't need servicing for a while longer.

Long story but in the end I don't think I would find many people devoted as he is and to think about someone else's boats instead of the other irreplaceable tools and parts that were lost and risk injury doing so speaks many words. Dealers whether it's cars, trucks, or boats do not have the dedication or loyality as these private shops do. They specialize in one thing, service and can't hide behind other aspects of the business as dealers do.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

All over TEXAS west of I45! Living in Big Spring Texas.

My boat was looking great when I went to pick it up. By no means did they wash it for me ... but they didn't trash it out. Everything that needed to be done was done and the boat was covered and waiting on me when I pulled in.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
    Yes, I will be a Marine until the day that I die.

Glad to hear it. I don't understand why so many businesses are determined to chase their customers away.
    'Bout that rudder, I told him it was OK to put a MC part on my Moomba as long as it was on the a$$ end.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

My experience.

1. No dealer has enough storage space to keep every boat they are working on inside.
    2. When ever I bring a boat to a dealer ALWAYS PULL THE PLUG and put it in the glove box. That is where they expect it to be and that is where they would put if they removed it. It only takes one day of heavy rain to flood a boat, even if the bilge is running on auto. In fact I remove the plug everytime I pull the boat out of the water.
    3. ALWAYS COVER a boat when leaving at a dealer. My experience is that they do not do a very good job of recovering boat, like putting in tent poles, hence, back to rule #2.
    4. Do not expect your boat to be covered by insurance. I had my cover damaged and someone attempt to steal tower speakers, while parked outside for three nights at a dealer.

Don't misunderstand me, I feel for you you and wish you the best of luck.

It kind of makes you woner though - how did you get the boat out of there without paying for it. I would say they were negligent in adequately protecting you boat from theft. If you could pick up your boat without paying, then I suppose anyone else could have as well?

Good luck
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

agree with the above. just like a car, MOST dealers will only take the basic minimum steps. even though it's an expensive investment for you, it's just another boat to them. a 45k new mobius is nothing compared to a 90k+ malibu 247 at our dealer..
    I don't ever leave our boat there without covering it myself in the lot. while mine was having gelcoat work done last fall, I checked in every week to see that they were taking care of it(and to browse the shop/shoot the breeze with salesmen)..
    as stated, it really sucks what you are going through, but I think most would not expect any dealer to store a boat indoors with no fees no matter what was being said on the phone. a pop-in to the dealer over the winter should have been done..

hope skiers helps you get, at the very least, a full detail and helps reassure you in any future issues with the boat.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten