Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

It sounds like you are the kind of customer that a dealer would kill for.
    The best my dealer can hope for from me is parts and accessories and of course new boats.
    Did you buy the boat from them?
    Did they ever finish the original job they ordered the parts for?

I totally missed the owner’s response from the 7th when I posted my last.

So, from my standpoint there are 2 issues:
    1) What happened to my boat
    2) The response that I received when I tried to resolve it

I'm going to start with #2, because to me that is the biggest part of this. My goal for a resolution was very simple, and when I called and spoke to the owner I already knew what I wanted. I asked him to clean the boat for me and to then look at it with me to see IF any damage had been done. I took pains to say that I did not know that there was any damage; just that I was concerned. Again folks, I am no mechanic. The immediate response I received was "If you are implying that I might have any liability for damage that might have occurred while your boat was here, then we might as well end this relationship right here." Honestly, my mouth dropped open. He then went on to angrily proclaim that "no court in the country would find me liable". I had said nothing about courts or liability or anything like that. Coupled with his earlier rant about "no one taking care of my [excrement] like I will and I'm sorry to deliver that lesson" and all the rest, (punching the ex-employee in the nose, boat industry in major trouble, "IF he survives the money will be in service", etc) it was surreal. I honestly wondered if he had been drinking, or if he was suffering major stress from financial issues. I did my best to avoid angry words, but if someone INSISTS on a fight, then I'm the wrong one to put into a corner. If he is allowed to treat customers in this manner, and there are no repercussions at all from the boating community, then he will continue to do so with impunity.
    #1: What happened to the boat: I am not saying that the guy who took my boat lied. I never even implied that. Have I used the word “lie” or “liar” on this board? Nevertheless, I was told that my boat would be inside. If he was fired for "lack of follow-up" as George told me, then it is not his fault that this happened. He had no control at all. But I am going to tell you this without doubt: No one ever told me to bring a cover out, or to get the boat, or anything like that. It did not happen. In fact, when I asked about it in the very beginning, I was told that a cover was not necessary because it would be inside. Was I too trusting? Yes, I guess that is the question. Maybe I was. I can tell that some of you would’ve parked a trailer out there at night to guard it (Zabooda) But it is not as if I just dropped the boat off and forgot all about it. There were numerous questions that flowed back and forth about parts, and costs. I saw George at the boat show in January and talked to him and the regional sales rep for a significant time about whether or not a new LSV would fit in my garage or not. He started working up trade-in figures on this very boat. He acknowledged to me that it was waiting on parts. So while I am sitting there with a tape measure on a new LSV to make sure it will go in the garage, my other boat is sitting outside with snow on the seats. If I would've showed up at the dealer in March and found my boat with an old tarp over it, or something, I would not have been thrilled, but I would not even have made a point of it. But to find it utterly neglected, and then to be cursed at and threatened when I ask someone to look at it with me? What kind of guy would just say, "Oh, OK, I guess you're right. Here's your check for $1150"?
    So, do you guys really think I should take my boat back to this dealer? I honestly am having trouble with this. It seems like I would be asking for trouble- personal trouble with this owner who thus far has shown no ability to discuss without flying off the handle, and potential controversy when my boat breaks down on the lake and I suspect that he sabotaged it out of spite. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems foolish to me. On the other hand, he is now going to use this offer to try to make me seem like the unreasonable one.

One thing is certain: due to the involvement by Skiers Choice and your input, this man’s attitude has changed significantly.
    SC has my cashiers check for the full amount, as I committed.
    I will talk to anyone on this board, in person or by cell. Anyone in this area is welcome to see me personally. I'll be up at the new cable park a lot, and I'll talk to you there, or at the next Cincywake event. Until George posted, I took great pains NOT to use this dealer’s name, or to use personal names at all. Should you continue to patronize this place? That is up to you. If the situation was reversed, however, I would want to know. At this point, he is on the ropes and will think twice before he “delivers a lesson” to anyone else.

Once trust is lost its almost impossible to get back. I respect how you didnt
    include the names of the people or dealer. That strengthened your argument.
    After the owner posted his side he lost me completely its not hard to see
    through his statements. There is no way I would ever take my boat to him
    again and if you are still thinking new Moomba make that known to the SC
    rep he will find you a GOOD dealer to work with.

To the dealer SHAME ON YOU when you take in a boat its like inviting someone to your home the way you treated this guest tells all what kind of
    host you are. I don't know how you made it 25 years. Not with customer
    service like this. Airing this in public is very unprofessional this should have been taken care of with an apology.

For those of you who have asked how this turned out, I want to apologize for not posting the conclusion sooner. But, I wanted to get some time between the emotion and my final comment.

In short, Skiers Choice did get involved. They had a discussion with George and then called me to ask me to give Lakota a chance to work things out. I called, and he said that if I would bring my boat in he would personally see that it was cleaned and have it checked for damages. He was polite and professional, but at no time really apologized for his previous statements.

I took it back and they cleaned it. Frankly, they did a fantastic job. The boat looked like it was new, and I was thrilled when I picked it up. I was also told that the boat had a clean bill of health, and no damage was found.

Last summer was bad for boating here in Cincinnati, and for my family especially. It was cold and wet, and my wife’s knee injury put her out for the season. Then the radio broke, and the alternator started acting up, and the ballast pumps, and several other small items. Was any of this caused by sitting outside all winter? It is hard to tell, really. All I know is that every time something went “bump” I thought about the whole episode again.

What’s the moral of the story? Well, I won’t be going back. I’ve never had any questions about this dealer’s competency, and the owner is nice enough when he is trying to sell you something. But I think that his many years selling used cars has given him a certain “defensive” mind-set when problems arise, and a very short-sighted perspective on customer service.

I took my Mobius to Cincinnati Mastercraft to be winterized this year and they did a super job, and were very polite. It is obvious to me that they are boaters and wakeboarders who are really involved in the end-product of their labors. They also were much cheaper. I’ve had my auto mechanic for 17 years, my plumber for 15, etc, etc. I tend to be loyal as long as people are honest and fair, even if I end up paying a little more. So it is nice to pay less for a change and still get better service. I also ordered some accessories from another Moomba dealer that is a couple hours away in Anderson, Indiana, and they had it delivered for me at a very reasonable rate.

Thanks to those of you who have given me your opinions, pro or con. I really have tried not to bash anyone or be vindictive, but I think that a foundational reason for a message board is to keep one another informed.
    I can’t wait for spring!

WOW - what an experience. I think I would have blew a cap as I baby my boat (and everything else I own for that matter). Onword and upwords to a better year in 2010. Bring on boating season.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet