Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Default San Antonio, Texas Moomba owners

Hello, I am thinking about visiting the area and possibly moving there in a few years. I have been looking at the numerous lakes in the area and lakefront property. I guess what I am getting at is what is the best lake to be on or around? Thanks, Jim.
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

Well we really only have two lakes here for boating. One is Canyon lake and the other is Medina lake. Here are the pros and cons of each in my opinion:
    Canyon:
    Pro - Deep clear lake, typically constant level, but not always. We go through floods and droughts. Right now its drought and low. lots of ramps for entry to lake that are free. Beautiful lake side property with beautiful views, beautiful hill country setting.

Con - Big open lake so windy a lot and can be hard to find smooth water, tends to get crowded, you may own lake front property but you may not have a boat dock. The Corps of Engineers will not allow it.

Medina Lake
    Pro - Beautiful hill country setting, crystal clear water, beautiful lake front property and yes you can have your very own boat dock. Can almost always find smooth water against the cliffs.

Con - Unreliable water level, when this lake is low it is extremely low. Really depends on rain amounts. Right now its drought and low low low. About 99% of the property around the lake is private so few places to put in with out paying a fee. Tends to get crowded when water is up.

Thats my .02

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Default San Antonio, Texas Moomba owners

Thanks for the reply and info. I also was wondering how lake Buchanan and the other lake below it was for the same reasons. Thanks, Jim .
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

All over TEXAS west of I45! Living in Big Spring Texas.

Lake Buchanan is my lake of choice. I love it! I go to Canyon the most, but when we want to have a nice weekend at the lake and camp out we make the drive to Buchanan. The land isn't cheap at all! If you want to live lake front you're going to pay a lot for it. I know, I'm looking. But, you can have a boat dock. The lake is huge! You'll always have room, but the wind can be a pain. If you want drop me a message and I can load some pictures of both lakes for you, or E-Mail them to you. I hope this helps.

Default Lake LBJ!

Try lake LBJ. In the lake chain from north to south, it lake buchanan, inks lake, then lake LBJ. Its actually loacated in Kingsland, tx. It is a year round constant level lake. Its wide open in parts, but it has a lot of coves and river runouts that make for incredable wakeboarding! Its better than Lake Austin IMO. The water is warmer as well!
    -Matt

Bighitmatt, do you have any pictures of LBJ? That's one of the lakes I haven't went to down that way. It is on my list though!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
    Yes, I will be a Marine until the day that I die.

Keep going down the Guadalupe river from canyon lake and you head into New Braunfels. These lakes are smaller as they are just small damns on the river, but amazing wakeboard water. Almost all the lake you can have a boat dock, except near the damn. Even when crowded the water will smooth out in minutes. You will have to pay a price though to live on these lakes. The three lakes are Lake Dunlap(1st in my choice), Lake McQueeny (last), and Lake Placid(2nd). You will find some pros every once in a while on our lakes. There is a wakeboard school on lake placid. http://wakeoutlaws.com/campdetail.ph...C462152bbb260e This is camp details and Pro Gabe Lucas lives on this lake. Also these lake levels do not fluctuate that much since the damns are spill over damns. Only once or twice a yr do they lower the lakes for damn maintenance.

To see some pics of Lake Dunlap look at my picture albums on my profile or click here https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?albumid=144
    Last edited by Limishowman3; 03-29-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    07 Moomba Outback

Visited San Antonio a couple years ago. Going back for a conference next spring. Can't wait. Trying to arrange so Mrs Kane can go too.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio is a good time. Always something to do.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
    Yes, I will be a Marine until the day that I die.

Quote Originally Posted by Limishowman3 View Post
    Keep going down the Guadalupe river from canyon lake and you head into New Braunfels. These lakes are smaller as they are just small damns on the river, but amazing wakeboard water. Almost all the lake you can have a boat dock, except near the damn. Even when crowded the water will smooth out in minutes. You will have to pay a price though to live on these lakes. The three lakes are Lake Dunlap(1st in my choice), Lake McQueeny (last), and Lake Placid(2nd). You will find some pros every once in a while on our lakes. There is a wakeboard school on lake placid. http://wakeoutlaws.com/campdetail.ph...C462152bbb260e This is camp details and Pro Gabe Lucas lives on this lake. Also these lake levels do not fluctuate that much since the damns are spill over damns. Only once or twice a yr do they lower the lakes for damn maintenance.

To see some pics of Lake Dunlap look at my picture albums on my profile or click here https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?albumid=144
    I agree, I grew up in New Braunfels and lived a block off lake Dunlap. Like Limishowman said it is always smooth. It takes some getting used to and some experience to handle other boats on such a narrow river, but it worth the butter for sure. Before loading up your ballast though check the depth, I bottomed out there two years ago while wake surfing.