Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup Camera

hey ed,
    i'm an idiot when it comes to wiring ... how do i wire one of these bad boys? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    I have the five pin connector on my truck and a spare trailer five pin connector.

What wires do I splice the camera into?

meech,

I'm no expert, but if you do the temporary mount such as in this thread, it should go like this: camera red wire to trailer pin adapter brown wire (tail light) and camera black wire to trailer pin adapter white wire (ground). This will let the camera be on whether you're in forward or reverse - just in case you need to make minor adjustments as you try to get everything lined up.

If you have auto headlights, make sure to manually turn them on when your using the camera outside, during the day. I couldn't figure out why the camera worked in the garage, but kept shutting off as I backed out into the driveway. Told ya', I'm no expert!

thanks buddy ... i think this is one i can do.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    meech,

I'm no expert, but if you do the temporary mount such as in this thread, it should go like this: camera red wire to trailer pin adapter brown wire (tail light) and camera black wire to trailer pin adapter white wire (ground). This will let the camera be on whether you're in forward or reverse - just in case you need to make minor adjustments as you try to get everything lined up.

If you have auto headlights, make sure to manually turn them on when your using the camera outside, during the day. I couldn't figure out why the camera worked in the garage, but kept shutting off as I backed out into the driveway. Told ya', I'm no expert!

Awesome info in this post.

The first time I went to hook up the trailer the wife held her hand perpendicular to the ground waving it back and forth making me guess which way. I asked her to point with her finger which direction instead of waving and the response I got was the middle finger. At least she used a finger.

Just finished the camera install, works great. Still have to do that last 1/4" creep for the trailer to settle.

Ha Ha. I used to back up the trailer when I was about 12 and could barely see over the dashboard. My Dad would spin his finger clockwise or counterclockwise -- I think telling me which way to turn the wheel. Well, watching him in the mirror I never could figure out what the HE77 he wanted. (My brothers and I still do this motion to each other at the ramp- kind of an inside joke) Since those days I am perfectly happy to jump out and have a look myself. Actually, I don't even jump out anymore -- I just back the truck to the same spot every time and pull the trailer a few inches by hand.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

While a backup camera would help, I find that I can get to the correct spot in two tries most of the time. I.e. initial approach, get out and check distance, reverse while watching for same distance passed by looking at ground as it passes the open driver's door, get out and check again. Maybe one more truck movement to adjust.

This usually works out much better then having someone else try to direct me.

That said, I would still like to have a good backup camera.

I am actually thinking of making a battery-powered (and wireless) one that I can stick on the back of the truck when hooking up the trailer, and move to the back of the BOAT when on the road.

It's amazing how many people feel obligated to tailgate behind a boat/trailer... much moreso than behind a regular vehicle. I know a couple of people with destroyed stern drives because the driver behind simply did not comprehend the 3-foot-long object sticking out the back. Eesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    It's amazing how many people feel obligated to tailgate behind a boat/trailer... much moreso than behind a regular vehicle.
    The "OIL RELEASE" button cures this. Or just tie a piece of rag or rope so that it hangs loose about 3 feet over the stern and flaps around but won't hurt anything. Amazing how people will give room if they think something loose might come flying out at them.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yup exactly or they fly passed you and cut right in front of you because you have that nice space between you and the next vehicle. Like that space is for them, duh you moron thats so i don't rear-end the guy in front of me.

Another thing ive stopped doing is playing nice with people merging into traffic from on ramps on the highway. They lolligag down the ramp and get next to you then hit there blinker and sit there. Like im supposed to slow down or speed up. I just maintain my speed and they better choose to slow down or speed up.

Maybe people do this because they figure you got a nice rig and boat you can afford to pay them if there's an accident. Not knowing the law states of someone hits your vehicle or toe vehicle from the rear or the side while you are maintaining speed and not changing lanes they are at fault. As well as if they cut in front of you taking your safe traveling distance away and not allowing you time to slow down and make a safe distance between you and them and a collision occurs they are still at fault.

Theres a law that specifically states. Its unlawful to change lanes in front of another driver that causes them to adjust there speed based on your changing lanes.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]