Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup Camera

Default Backup Camera

Does anyone really like the exercise they get when hopping in and out of your tow vehicle when trying to get the trailer hooked up?

How about getting guided to the trailer by your wife or better yet, your 7 & 9 year old daughters?

Moombadaze posted under his mods a backup camera a few months ago. I had been looking for one and found the same brand he has in a wireless version on clearance at Target for $69.99!

Since my boat stays on the lift 90% of the time, I wanted to set my camera up so I could make easy to set up and use when I needed it versus mounting it to my truck. The local police were sure to pull me over for the camera covering up part of the license plate

Below are the details of the job.

supplies - camera kit, magnets from Home Depot, male flat 4 trailer plug, 8 to 4 pin adapter, heat shrink tubing and screws & bolts which got changed to double face tape b/c the magnets were too hard to drill through! Also had a few small tools such as wire strippers and heat gun.

spliced wires together and put double faced tape on magnets

used heat gun to shrink tubing

stuck magnets to camera bracket

Default Backup Camera continued

plugged 8 to 4 pin adapter into truck and stuck camera on tailgate

used dash mount hardware that was supplied with camera and plugged into cigarette lighter

great picture of hitch, except missing the trailer and boat! Gotta get it in this weekend!!

This was a VERY simple job!

Thanks to moombadaze who helped with the wiring (black from camera to white/ground on plug and red on camera to brown/taillight on plug) as well as a most helpful hint: if you have auto headlights like I do, be sure to manually power on the lights or the camera won't work!

Thanks for the info and guide.

thanks for the info. could this be the perfect pass marriage saver for backing up to the trailer? i will look around and see if i can get one, looks pretty easy.

i hook a trailer 1-2x per week, then the boat hooks too. at least half the time i am alone.

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    thanks for the info. could this be the perfect pass marriage saver for backing up to the trailer? i will look around and see if i can get one, looks pretty easy.

i hook a trailer 1-2x per week, then the boat hooks too. at least half the time i am alone.
    Target online is $99.99 w/ free shipping. You can also look for a store clsoe to you that has it in stock.

http://www.target.com/Wireless-Back-...0camera&page=1

BTW - this item is $140 in the 2009 Overton's catalog.

Sams Club has them too.. i think they are $99 at sams..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    How well do these camera's work?

Can you get the ball under the receiver dead nuts on, where you can lower the trailer and close the latch or do you still have to wiggle the ball forward and back a bit to get the tongue latch to close.

DEAD NUTS ON--Yes
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I saw one of these on dealtime or dealnews a couple days ago. It was pretty cheap but I couldn't find it again today. I guess I'll just leave the boat hitched up ALL YEAR!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I picked one up at pep boys yesterday for 69.95

Ed, let us all know how it works for you-i think the term was "dead nuts on"
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart