Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Project - Fresh Water Shut-off Valve...advice?

'02 Outback LSV

I would like to add a shutoff – valve to my boat. It is more for a safety factor then anything else, plus I think it is required now on new boats.

I have looked at Lowes and Home Depot and found a 1.25 valve (don’t recall if it was full flow) and a PVC nipple, have not located a female elbow. From the looks I am not even sure if I can remove the existing male barb elbow without dropping the inlet strainer down for clearance to remove the elbow.

It seems it could be done 2 ways.

1) Splice the valve in the existing 1.25 hose (2 male barb nipples and ball valve)
    2) Remove the current elbow start from there (female elbow, close nipple, ball valve, male barb nipple)

I have located a 1.25 ball-valve, and a barb nipple, but it seems I may have to order the rest from various sites. It would be great to get all the parts from one place and know they will connect. I am ignorant about the thread types and those details.

I am looking for some advice and ideally pictures of an existing setup.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Are putting a shut off valve on your water supply to the engine? If so, be sure to add an interlock switch to your engine.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Yes, the inlet water. I plan to tie wrap it open or maybe remove the handle to prevent a dumbbutt move on someones part.

Can anyone speak if a valve is factory installed on new boats and how they are setup?
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Mc, i'll try to remember and hop up in the boat when i get home and see what i have-its a 08 lsv, i'll snap a photo for ya
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Mc, i'll try to remember and hop up in the boat when i get home and see what i have-its a 08 lsv, i'll snap a photo for ya
    That would be Awesome! If you have a strainer, a picture of that would be much appreciated for the other thread. I plan to tackle both at the same time.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Quote Originally Posted by mcdye View Post
    That would be Awesome! If you have a strainer, a picture of that would be much appreciated for the other thread. I plan to tackle both at the same time.
    no problem-will do, but i dont think i have a strainer
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

What is the reason for the valve? The more connectors and valves connected to your fresh water line the higher probability of a failure. The failure of the water line in a static condition (sitting in the water) is very small and the probability of failure actually increases with the addition of the valve even when it is positioned correctly. Good luck with that one and if you sell the boat let the new owner know.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I dont have 100% comformation, but I have read somewhere on new boats of this nature they are required by some safety standard.

Dpending on your water level if one has a water strainer, you may need to stop the flow if you need to clean while in the water.

There was already a shut-off valve in place on my ballast inlet.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

That would make sense for a strainer unless the strainer was located above the water level like the raw water pump on my boat where I can change it while on the water. Since that action is a controlled process, I would have a means to make it difficult to close the valve by an inattentive mechanic or someone horseplaying. I would think the strainer would have the valve built in to eliminate the need for another hose connection.
    Last edited by zabooda; 04-01-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    That would make sense for a strainer unless the strainer was located above the water level like the raw water pump on my boat where I can change it while on the water. Since that action is a controlled process, I would have a means to make it difficult to close the valve by an inattentive mechanic or someone horseplaying. I would think the strainer would have the valve built in to eliminate the need for another hose connection.
    One would want the strainer prior to any other components to capture debris as soon as possible. I have a vdrive and need it before it. It seems most use a Sherwood strainer and it appears to have no check valve or cut-off.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold