Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrading from gravity 1 to 3

Ok so i am looking to upgrade from Gravity 1 to a gravity 3 and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas. Below is a layout of what i will do with a pic.

I will replace the current pump with a Jabsco pump that will fill and empity.

Add 3 more valves. One for each side and an extra one for adding another sac for surfing.

Wire the whole system up. Yet to be figured out but it is just wires and who cares if one bag fills when one is drainned.

I do not know if i would need to overfill holes / air holes. Would make it easy to see when the bags are full by the water flowing out the side of the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I don't think the system would drain. Flow through the solenoid valves is directional.

I like the 4th bag surf set up.. I have an extra valve that I planned to add to fill a surf bag.. just have not made it a priority!

Interesting set up..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

How does the stock gravity III system route the overfill/vent? The stock bags only have two fittings in the bags, fill and empty, yet when they get full they empty out the side thru hull fitting?
    2008 Supra 22V

Best I can tell is that when a sac gets full, it will create enough pressure to push through the empty pump.. There is not a true "overflow" as there is in the 09 systems with reversible pumps..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

VA LSV - Good point.

Does anyone know what the 09's use for the solenoid's so that the water can be drainned from the same pump?
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Ed,

Thanks for the link. Are you saying that each bag has its own pump??

Thumbs up

So what i read is that we can remove the factory bags and re-install the Pro X Series Fat Sac™ - W707 with the dimensions: 50 x 20 x 20 and added weight: 750 lbs per bag.

I want to improve my '08 XLV Gravity Games Edition for surfing.

What can I do to add a larger bag to the center ballast, or to add more sacks to other parts of the boat.

Any pictures or ideas you have would be cool!!

If you plan on going with the setup that you have in your first post, you will have to incorporate evac pumps to drain the bags. The best method is the bidirectional pumps that they have in the 09s. If you plan on going with the other method, it will work just fine as this is my setup in my 02. Since you will be buying the fly high sacs, they have a third fitting and you can use it as an overflow/vent line just like I have done. Below is my system design and pics of my overflow/vent line on my fly high sacs. The overflow is just an extra line that is connected to my evac line with a T fitting and a one way whale valve. Let me know if you have any questions.

15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I got a used 06 OBV with the G1 system and will eventually be looking for a ballast upgrade. My main priority would just be some rear bags that I can fill/drain with a switch along with the center bag. It doesn't have to be the biggest/fastest system around, just looking for the switch convenience mostly.

I'm not opposed to trying to build it myself but I'm pretty wet behind the ears and would probably need a lot of help. A few basics (some of these maybe be totally incorrect questions so just help me out, also boat is away in storage so I can't go out to look)-

I read through this article but it seems mostly centered on upgrading the stock system for decreased fill times. I'd currently be ok with the stock system, just looking to increase to 3 bags.

Given a 2006 OBV with the G1 from the Dealer -

- Apart from needing a lot of details, are there any big gotchas that I'm not aware of that would prevent an "easy" upgrade G1 1 bag system to a 3 bag system? Something in the basic design in my boat that would make this just fundamentally not work without a lot of knowledge/experience/labor.

- Is this something I can expect to do with existing intake, pump, etc? I'm not really sure I'm up to making new intakes. I know that a redesign with multiple intakes/pumps would be faster but I'm starting small.

- In the picture above the pump goes through the cutoff valve into a piece with 3 solenoid valves connecting. What is that piece? (or is it just a logical block). Should I expect whatever is in my boat to be easy enough to hook up the other two solenoid valves or is that something that would need replacing?

- I'm pretty sure I only have one exit/drain hole on the starboard side. I'm assuming it'd be in my best interests to make a new on on the port side. What's involved in making one?

- Is this something the average dealer might be able to do as well, and if so what's a rough upgrade estimate?

- JesseC's diagram above doesn't make this look unattainable by my low experience level but I don't have the experience to know what simple (or not so simple) things I might be be overlooking or might get me into trouble.