Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Custom ballast system question

It's coming down to the wire as to taking my boat in for the ballast upgrade. I've seen/read some doing the 3 Jabsco with 3 intake, read about 1 intake with 3 Tsunami pumps, 3 intakes with 3 Tsunami pumps. Question is on the Tsunami systems using multiple intake pumps, how many drain pumps are you guys using and how? Seems to be pros and cons to each system.

have to use one per bag. mounted very close to the drain outlet at the bottom/rear of each bag..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

If I could redo my system again(currently 4 800gph tsunami fills on the original thru hull) it would be to 3 intakes and 5 1200 gph tsunami for filling-all one inch, and just leave the empty system alone-3 pumps.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I am very happy with my system. I am thinking of adding a new pump for a Bow system. Not sure if I want to do it just yet. I have the 3 1200 Tsunami for the intake and the stock for the empty. You da Man, I would go for it. Now just keep in mind. You can not monitor the bags when emptying or filling. If not being too careful, when emptying, and the bags are completely out of water, the impeller can burn up. Then you have to replace the impeller. With the tsunami pumps, you can monitor the fill and drain. When the bags are full, it overflows out the drain line. The only way to damage this pump is if you suck something up from in the water. Keep us posted when the mod is getting on its way. We will be here to help guide you through it.
    Tazz
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

aren't there some issues with the 1200gpm and the thread fittings?
    I am planning on upgrading in feb. and only want to do it once, and thought I remember that the 1200's were a pita to mess around with..

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    aren't there some issues with the 1200gpm and the thread fittings?
    I am planning on upgrading in feb. and only want to do it once, and thought I remember that the 1200's were a pita to mess around with..
    I bought my pumps on EBay. I had asked if they also offered the hose barb fitting for that pump. They did. So I bought three of them. Now with the hose. I purchased 1" hose. I believe the hose barb was 1 1/8" So what I did was place the hose over the stove to heat up. When it was soft enough, I pushed it on the barb and then ran it under cold water. Worked perfect. Now it goes from an 1 1/8" hose barb to a 1" hose barb. Worked perfect. I also trimmed down all the rubber o-rings in the pumps. I tried to eliminate all obstructions.
    Tazz

I will look at the piece that goes from the ball valve to the pump. I do not remember what I used. I will get back to you bro.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings

Okay, how about this an idea. My boat is a new 08, with the deal I got the dealer to add the GGIII system...the 08 system. For the 09 GGIII system they want me to cover the extra $600 for the Jabsco pumps. Because of the Jabsco burning up, having to monitor them, impeller issues, amp draw, and questionable reliability issues related to cost per pump...I thought of this. Would it be wise for me just to have the dealer install the 08 GGIII system, with single intake pump, the dreaded sprinkler valve system, and using the stock intake? Then I could take the $600 I would have spent on the Jabsco system upgrade and just get 3 Tsunami 800 pumps, remove the sprinkler valve and make a manifold for the 3 pumps, and use the wiring from the solenoids for the sprinkler valves to power the 3 pumps? I wouldn't have to worry about adding/wiring the drain pumps since the 08 GGIII system would already have them installed.

yes you could and it wont cost 600
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

since the dealer will be saving the cash if you don't have him install all the stuff you will be turning around and pulling out, why not see if the dealer will install part of the upgraded system and just leave all the wiring or final connections to you?
    maybe swap the valves for one extra pump?

Personally, I would have them wire everything up as if it were a stock system that is in all of our boats. Then when it is all done. Take the crappy sprinkler valves out and add your own pumps. Use the solenoid wire for the pump wires. Just need to change out the fuse to 5 amps. All the switches are there, the fuse block, all the wiring, and the drain pumps. He just needs the new pumps and the vented loops for all 3 pumps.