Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

Default Oil Change

I have an '05 Moomba Outback and changed my oil this weekend. I ran the engine for about 10 minutes and then drained the oil. 5 quarts surely did not come out. I was surprised. I let it drain overnight. The next day I checked the dipstick and no oil on it. So, i added the recommended 5 quarts. Now when I check the dipstick it's hard to tell what level the oil is at. I'm concerned I have too much oil.

Any thoughts on this? Again, i drained it and then only added 5 quarts. The dipstick is oily above the "full" line indicating to me that there is too much oil. Or could the dipstick just be getting oil on it from sliding down the hole when I put it in.

Did you let it run after adding oil? the oil filter will hold 1/2 quart maybe. clean oil can be hard to see on the dipstick also
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Thanks. I wasn't thinking of that.

Did you measure how much came out when you drained it? That would be a good indicator of how much came out. After I pour in the new stuff, I put the old oil in the new oil container. Then, I know about how much oil came out. Also, did you check the level before draining it? It may have been low to begin with.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I didn't measure before I drained it. But I always run it with 5 quarts and check it periodically. Only 3.25 quarts came out, plus what was in the filter.

You'll have some oil consumption and the engine is not level either. Put the five quarts in and call it good.

It's also never a bad idea to fill the oil filter before installing it. It will save the engine a little wear and tear by not have to fill it the first time you start it up after the oil change.

I think you are supposed to check the oil and trans fluid on the water with the boat floating. I think I read that they are designed to be checked there, not on the trailer (engine nut post from way back, I believe).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have read it to check fluids in the water not on the trailer.

My manual states..

Maintain fluid level as follows:
    - Boat must be at rest.
    - Engine should be at operating temperature but turned
    off while checking level.

Not sure of the definition of 'rest' but I would assume they would not recommend running the boat out of the water with fake-lake or something of that nature just to get it up to operating temperature.

Default Changed oil before storage

I took my boat to the dealer to be winterized. They found a seal that was not properly set, so in changing the seal they had to change the oil. Should I change the oil again before starting up for the season. If so does anyone recommend synthetic?? Brand?
    Go Boat