Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How would you fix this?

***Updated...see last post. I need part numbers or manufacturer for rub rail assembly pieces if anyone knows***

Found out what happens when you cruise onto the trailer that's backed too far in a bit too fast. I backed the trailer in, my wife drove onto the trailer, so we were both at fault. Looks like we found a situation that PP doesn't handle!

So what is the course of action for this? Does the entire rub rail have to be replaced or can just a section be replaced? No fiberglass was damaged thankfully, but it is a pretty deep gash on both sides. Hopefully the pics are sufficient.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TL7; 05-29-2009 at 02:42 AM.

I really feel for you, but that being said ... I imagine you could replace just the damaged section but it wouldn't look very nice as you'd have to have the joint connectors. I'd just suck it up and replace the whole thing and feel really lucky the rubrail did it's job. My 2 cents
    2007 Mobius LSV

I agree - it's probably best to replace the entire rail. Is this something I can do without taking it in? Anyone know an estimated cost on the rub rail?

That is bummer. What happened, did the nose go under the roller?

That's exactly what happened. We were running late...stayed on the water longer than we were supposed too (who doesn't). I backed in too deep and the nose went under the roller, and presto. Two nice gashes. At least the rub rail did it's job...even though we didn't do ours!

Man i am sorry to see that. The rub rail has to be alot less to replace then the fiberglass. I have pulled a section of my rub rail before after a little dock accedent and it looks like it would not be that hard to replace. I think it is single peice that you just have to feed all the way around the boat. Should be somthing you can do at home. Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it at home.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

There was a guy on here in Europe somewhere.. Holland or something that had a Beautiful 07 and 08 ALL Blue LSV .. he replaced the rail on his 07 to be white. Sounded like he did it himself..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

good time to upgrade to the stainless steel rubrail.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Actually, Fiberglass repair would have been much cheaper.

Sorry that it happened. You could replace just a section or the whole thing. You will have to decide what will make you happy. Boater's world, BoatUS, West Marine have the rub rail or can get it quickly. You could go old school and do rope rub rail, which would be the cheapest. Stainless will be very expensive (@ $800 I believe).
    Or you can just live with it til you are ready to sell.

Good Luck.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Do they have any kind of rubber filler?