Default Boat Lift Orientation

I need to alter the orientation of my lift due to a change in boat slip assignments for the upcoming season. Rather than having a pier on both sides of the boat as I did last summer, this season there will be only one pier and it will be on the starboard side of the boat. The boat lift will be rotated 180 degrees from how it was positioned last season so the manual wheel remains accessable from a pier.

Here's what I want to know: Who has kept his boat on a lift with the bow pointed out? In other words, when it's time to go play you simply pull out in a throttle forward position and when it's time to put things away the boat gets backed into the lift and sits with the swim platform pointed toward the shore?

Direct drive in reverse is a hasstle. So I'd have to figure out how I would get the boat back onto the lift. However, I like the idea of having direct access to the swim platform from the main pier. It would make getting the cover off/on and entry into the cockpit more convenient. Also, the swim platform could double as a sort of a table for food and drinks. Just set some chairs on the main pier and raise the boat a few feet.

The water is deep enough that the cradle sits well below the prop, rudder, and skegs. There would be no danger of damage to underwater parts.

Is this backend-in-first idea crazy?
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I'd be tempted to drop somebody off with a line tied to the left rear to help you steer when backing in. Good luck. You'll work it out.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

put up a couple guide poles and after a couple time should be no harder than going in forward or just use a rope from the stern and pull the boat in by hand.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Sled491 Guest

Deerflield,

Don't your bunks make your craddle float at bit? I have pulled my boat forward off of the lift but not running because I was worried about the prop smaking the craddle. When you drive on and back off, your fins clear the cross beam, but your prop never has to. I would worry that the rotating prop would draw the cradle up and cause a problem.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by sled491 View Post
    Deerflield,

I would worry that the rotating prop would draw the cradle up and cause a problem.
    Sled - Interesting point. I'll let you know after I run this one by the guys at Lauderdale Lakes and Ultimate Wake. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

deerfield, are your bunks narrower at the front compared to the rear.

as sled states i would be worried about the prop going through the lift either way, one miss and 500 bucks later.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

jmvotto - The bunks run parallel to each other. They were set that way by the marina (Skiers Choice dealer) from which I bought the lift. I've been thinking about Sled's observation that prop rotation might draw the lift up off the lake bed. I might be okay there because the lift will be in deep water, well below any draw effect from a slow rotating prop. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Sled491 Guest

If your deep enough you could be ok. My boat rides the bunks all the way on and off as mine sit on the bottom of the lake no matter what due to shallow water. I would think that with 4ft or more you should be ok. I'm sometimes less than 27 inchs.