Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Talking Finished the Ballast... I think.

So I've completed my ballast with some of the ideas I've talked about on other threads. First I've upgraded by adding an additional Rule Fill Pump.

Next I added a new header from Home Depot so all the solenoids are out of the way and I have a new feed for my second pump.

Last edited by newty; 02-22-2009 at 08:51 PM.

And lastly I've used one of the unused drain ports on the front ballast bag and made a new overflow that feeds my integrated bow sack (ok not really ibs, but it will work for now).

And installed a new separate discharge pump that will eventually feed out right next to the factory floor ballast discharge.

I have yet to water test yet so we will see what happens. Worst case I'll have to upgrade to a 1" thru-hull for water supply. But at 10 gallons a minute each pumps should feed fine through 3/4 since 30gpm is reccomended max flow through 3/4 pipe, plus its shuch a short shared route I don't think I'll have problems.

Newty

Newty,

What a great way to not have to drill in the bottom of the boat

Pictures are truly worth a 1000 words- i now understand what you were doing.

Let us know how both pumps work, I might just have to copy some of this. I think i would just plum one of the pumps directly to my surf bag and just block off one of the port's on the manifold.

What bag are you useing in the bow lbs?
    Last edited by moombadaze; 02-22-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

600lb big air (cheapy) I used to fill it in the walk through but it will be nice having it out of site. Eventually I'll get an Integrated bow sac but until then this will get me at least 350lbs in the bow.

Nice. Let's see if I understand correctly:

- you have replaced the solid intake pipe with a solid T junction of the same diameter, feeding to two pumps.

- These two pumps feed (using some larger-diameter hoses) into a two-to-three header, which go to the three sprinkler valves as usual.

- The original hoses from the solenoid-controlled valves to the sacs remain as original.

- Your center sac's unused port now fills the new bow sac, fed from the port side.

- The new bow sac will drain on the starboard side into... will it rejoin the existing plumbing, or just go into the bilge?

Did you do any rework of the sprinklers after the header? I think that there was some talk of changing the valves for larger ones, or removing springs, or some such.

Thanks in advance!

Wow, that is really impressive and also happens to look like a fun way to spend "some" time.

Unfortunately, I have never seen a ballast system and would have no idea where to even begin. But those are great pictures and a great description.

Newty, how hard was it to get the old pipe out and install the "T"?

I was looking at my thru hull and it allmost looks like there is a reducer on it to get to the 3/4 pipe size. Its hard to tell in your pictures if you had that or not.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

It looks like a reducer but it is all one piece. Just unplug the pump and pull the hose off. Then spin the valve and 90 off the thru-hull. The fitting is set up so if you need a 1 inch thru-hull, you can cut the 3/4" portion off and thread on a 1" fitting. The inner diameter of the thru-hull is 3/4. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    The inner diameter of the thru-hull is 3/4. Make sense?

yes, thanks
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

Newty, what size is the second fill pump-gph?

check my math if you could
    one pump 1200gph=20 gallons per minute
    750lb bag
    water weighs 8.35pounds per gallon
    need 89.8 gallons to fill 750lb bag
    89.8 gallons needed at 20gpm =4.49 minutes to fill.
    so with two fill pumps 1/2 the time roughly -say 2.5 to 3 minutes to fill???? that would be very impresive.

does this sound correct
    Last edited by moombadaze; 03-03-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold