Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LSV Cooler/melter/garbage can

I was reading about problems with boat coolers and saw razzmans post about wrapping the cooler w/ HVAC insulation and possibly incapsulating the cooler with spray foam to help with ice conservation. Any other Ideas out there?
    Sorry Ed I'll get to the ski pylon soon.

You would think they would insulate the coolers before its all put together. I like my cooler if it would hold ice theres got to be a way. I thought of spray foam to but that seems messy we need idea's.
    I Think MOOMBA is Addicting

Sorry I was reading the post on Wake World about the cooler.

I was thinking about making a form of some sort around the cooler and and using spray foam as well. Then use a piece of abs the size of the cooler opening and make a rubber seal to attach to the underside of the seat cushion with some sort of insulation on that too. I dunno just thinking with my fingers.

Ed, you still have beer left the next day????

My cooler will certainly keep drinks cold all day but I was looking more along the lines of having it keep ice for more than a day. Maybe 2.

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    My cooler will certainly keep drinks cold all day but I was looking more along the lines of having it keep ice for more than a day. Maybe 2.
    Hey Newty that was my goal as well. After using the HVAC insulation and metal tape to seal, if i half empty the ice bag into the cooler and lay the rest it flat on top of the drinks in the bag i still have some ice at the end of the day, not much at all though. BUT, they stay real cold all day.

So after that experiment last year i got to thinking about the spray insulation in the can and how to use it. As you said above in your post making a mold but that's really not doable as you'd have to be able to access the cooler from all sides. BUT, what if you could seal all around with the foam? So here's what i'm going to be doing to mine soon.

Step 1: Figure out the thickness wanted of the foam and how far it will protrude out the sides or ends.

Step 2a: Mark off that dimension on the carpet and cut from the front to the back, essentially removing the carpet where the foam will be. Why, because for one you'll increase the thickness of the foam on the bottom and, if you don't you'll ruin the carpet anyway.

Step 2b: MAKE SURE cooler drain hose and clamp are in perfect shape and tight before spraying foam!

Step 3: Using spray foam insulation, fill in all areas under, in front and behind the cooler without spilling out the sides.

Step 4: After that foam has expanded as far as will go, place stiff cardboard pieces that you've previously shaped & precut precisely to close off the ends of the cooler. Block and support them with something heavy and spray the foam into the cavities through holes in the cardboard until it oozes out and around.

Step 5: Remove the cardboard after a while and then slyly using the wifes handheld chesse cutter, shave the foam to the desired shape and thickness.

Step 6: Cover the ends with something to protect the foam from chunking and chipping. My first thought was to coat the ends with resin and paint white. Not sure on that one.

Step 7: Cut out a piece of HDPE to fit in the opening, attach to the bottom of the seat.

Well there it is, let's have ideas to improve or whatever.
    2007 Mobius LSV

exactly what I was thinking but attach a rubber seal on the HDPE so it makes a good tight seal.

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    exactly what I was thinking but attach a rubber seal on the HDPE so it makes a good tight seal.
    Use a flexible door weatherstrip around the HDPE and it would seal without interfering i believe!
    2007 Mobius LSV

I only see one dangerous flaw in the plan:

" . . . using the wifes handheld chesse cutter, shave the foam . . ."

This could be disastrous. One time I needed to change the oil in the Mustang and I couldn't find my drain pan. I still have a bump from that rolling pin.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Razzman have you done this mod yet? If so, do you have pictures.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!