Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What about Lexan or Plexiglass?

I think it would make good mounting blocks, wondering if it will hold up to the abuse a boat takes?

BTW
    It has snowed, rained or been below freezing every weekend since I started this project. So I have not done anything since the first weekend! I am so fed up with this weather and the 10 day forcast says it is going to rain next weekend too!

Arrrrghhh
    It is better barefoot!

Thumbs up

Super cool ideas.

I purchase a '08 Gravity Games Edition just the other day.

I got the STD pkg with the Kicker AMP and 6 Kicker Speakers.

I am going to be adding the following to the stereo up-grade:

- Kicker 30 Band EQ
    - Aerial Speaker Light PKG with (4) 6.75 POLK DB and 4 LIGHTS
    - Kicker ZX750.1 - Power the POLK DB
    - (2) Kicker KS6.5 Component System - ABOVE THE STD 6 KICKERS
    - Kicker ZX350.4 - Power Component System
    - Kicker 10" Solo-Baric
    - Kicker ZX550.2 - FOR THE BASS
    - ALL STINGER POWER and DISTRIBUTION
    -- Battery Termianls
    -- Distributions Blocks
    -- PRO 200 Power Relay
    -- 1 Farad Capacitor
    -- RCA Cables
    -- I POD HOOK-Up

It will be fun to have GREAT TUNES for surfing this summer!!

I will get you pictures as we start the install!!!!!

Don't know what you're looking to spend on the EQ and Ipod hook-up, but a WS420 will do both plus add a tower/boat fade option with a tower microphone, just my 2 cents before you start

Finally Finished!
    The weather really put me in a hole, but here it is.

I used Lexan for the mounting board, taped it off and sprayed the back with red and black paint for a little different look.

I took small blocks of the lexan and glued them together, then used epoxy to attach them to the fiberglass where I cut out smap squares of carpet. I tried to epoxy the large board to the small blocks but that did not work so I drilled holes in the blocks and used 5/8 inch #10 screws to attach the board to the blocks.

Sounds great, had it running today and my neighbir 4 houses a way came out thinking it was the kid between us working on his car stereo. He was ready to light him up and had to pause when he saw me jamming in the boat.

LoL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is better barefoot!

That looks really great, I love what you did with the plexi & paint! It makes me want to jazz up my amp install. I have mine in the same spot, but I never messed with mounting the amp board to anything (I've always got the fenders in there when the boat is underway, so not much room for the amp to move, I know I know bad bad bad)

Looks great!
    2013 Outback V

bama - Where did you get the idea to put the racks on top rather than the sides of the tower? How does that set up work for you? Are boards held securely in place? Looking at the top of my tower, spread between the two pieces that make up a rack would be short and makes me wonder if the heavy boards might fall. Nonetheless, I kind of like your top mount idea. Seems like an easier location to reach than the awkward position on each side of the tower. Very nice job with the sound system install! - Deerfield
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deerfield; 04-12-2009 at 10:02 PM.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I saw a guy on our lake from a distance with his boards on top. I did not like the board on the outside, they were just too hard to get to and I am too cheap to buy spinner racks, so I decided to try it out.

I moved them mid summer last year and had no problems with boards moving, I really like the ability to stand on the motor cover and access the boards. I have them set as far apart as I can in the crossmember. My boards are 142, 138, 135 and 128, and they all ride fine in the racks. Without the bimini deployed you can get dripped on, and if you forget to empty the boot before you put it up there you can get a surprise.
    It is better barefoot!

Thanks, the lexan was my answer to no wood, however after I started my project I found a board at West Marine that I think would have worked better.

I had a lot of trouble getting the lexan to adhere to the fiberglass and had to use a special epoxy for plexiglass and lexan. I had to build a device that would put weight on the mounting block and hold it against the fiberglass with some pressure. In the end I am really happy with the install and it sounds as good as I hoped it would.
    It is better barefoot!

bamaspiveys,
    Sweet Idea with the board racks. I might have to try that. Would give me room for surfboard and Ski racks on the side.
    Last edited by viking; 10-11-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: wrong quote

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
    Thanks, the lexan was my answer to no wood, however after I started my project I found a board at West Marine that I think would have worked better.

I had a lot of trouble getting the lexan to adhere to the fiberglass and had to use a special epoxy for plexiglass and lexan. I had to build a device that would put weight on the mounting block and hold it against the fiberglass with some pressure. In the end I am really happy with the install and it sounds as good as I hoped it would.
    I'm upgrading my system too and what board did you find that would work well. I'm interested in the best ideas to get my amps and dual battery system to fit well to save as much room as possible.
    thanx

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet