Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Tow Vehicle Question

Been looking into getting rid of my Expedition for a new tow vehicle. She has been a great truck and I really hate to even consider getting rid of her but in this market I may can trade up for a good price. I'm kind of partial to a Ford, especially the '04 and up F-150, but I'm also considering a Chevy Avalanche. Bear in mind what ever I trade for will be used. Anybody have experience with this Chevy as far as quality and reliability?

Monty
    Last edited by MOOMBA_97; 02-05-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

Monty, what motor, etc. doe the Avalanche have? Is it the same as the Trailblazer and GMC Envoy?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I personally wouldn't consider anything but the 5.3L engine. I have it in my '07 GMC Sierra 4X4 Crewcab. So far it's been super reliable, is very good on gas and has plenty of towing power & torque.
    2007 Mobius LSV

It's a 5.3L. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 5.3 for the chevy and 5.4 in the Ford. I really like the Fords. I have loved the one I have and have never had a minutes trouble with the 5.4 that is in it. My wife has the Yukon with the 4.8 and it is not near enough for extended pulling IMO.

Monty
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

I have an 07' F-150 and my buddy has a 0?' Avalanche. Both seem to tow really well, no major complaints on either. I've not had any issues nor has my buddy (that I'm aware of). I've heard the 5.3 gets a little better milage than the 5.4 but I havent put emough miles on his truck to verify that.

One thing I really like about my F-150 are the mirrors as they are quite a bit bigger than the Avy, seems like a little better sight lines all around from in the cab which makes launching easier.

My Suburban loaded down with my crew tows great and it's only got the 5.3.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    My Suburban loaded down with my crew tows great and it's only got the 5.3.
    Z71 Suburban Holds all the kids, and pulls all the toys. Should be some good deals now.

Sled491 Guest

Check with Z, I think he just got rid of an Avalance that they used for towing. He may an opinion one way or another from both an owner, car fanatic, and engineer.

i'm not sure, but if i remember correctly, the avalanche only comes with the 5.3. i think maxpower has one?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I own a 2000 Silverado 1500 extended cab 5.3 which tows my '06 Moomba LS well. The engine has good torque, and the tow/haul mode enables the trans to shift firmly. Perfect match for my LS.

The only weak link in this truck's powertrain is the 4L60 transmission. The earlier models have been known to break sunshells easily. There are a few other weak parts in the trans. which can be upgraded during the first rebuild. You can upgrade the servo's, bands, clutches, drum(s), planetary's, pumps, sprags, and seal kit in addition to upgraded converters - anything your builder may think of.

The positive side: any shop can re-build them to tow reliably, and you don't have to break the bank to do it. My buddy is a GM Master Tech, and he's going through mine this summer, and we will be throwing all the goodies in it. My current mileage is 90K, and from what I'm told, a re-build every 100K is a good idea.

I towed my LS back from Rochester to Long Island, and the 5.3 pulled nicely (I've got 3.73 gears). I don't use O/D during towing (to keep any unwanted o/d slip from happening), and I kept it around 65 on the open road. I brought along an infrared temp gun which I used to spot check the trans temp at a few rest stops. Trans temp never went past 155 deg. as measured off the pan. My truck doesn't have an aftermarket trans cooler - only the factory rad cooler.

If you can get a later model 4L65 equipped truck/SUV, those trans. would include a few upgraded parts from the old 4L60's which, as I understand, makes them somewhat more reliable than the 4L60's.

Again, the 5.3 GM platform, whether it be a Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado or Avalanche, is an excellent choice for a tow vehicle (for our sized boats). Just be a little weary of the transmission. Nothin' worse than gettin' stuck in the back-country with a gushing trans!

One more thing if you buy used GM: Make sure the fuel pump/sending unit in the gas tank has been replaced. The pumps can quit anywhere from 60K-150K and they're $495 for a oem AC Delco unit (plus 2.1 hrs labor). Ouch. When they go, the truck will just quit at the most inconvenient time. I know three people in my town that got stuck without warning. Do not buy the cheap aftermarket units as they are fairly unreliable, albeit a few bucks cheaper. Replace the fuel filter (on frame, drive side) at regular intervals also. If the filter is full of shit, the pump has to work harder - from what I'm told. I replaced my pump (at 87K) because the sending unit (gas gauge) was acting up, so we were dropping the tank anyway. I hear that keeping the tank above 1/4 helps keep the pump cool. I just run the tank dry, then fill, repeat - never gave it much thought. Better safe than sorry. Oh - and it helps if your buddy has his own 30x30 shop on his property with two lifts inside! I get real good GM service (and advice). So far so good.

I have to admit, for my first American vehicle, I am satisfied with GM.

Good luck.
    Last edited by cgriebs; 02-05-2009 at 09:57 PM.