Thread: rats

Default rats

We keep our xlv in a MDM shelter near the bottom of our property. I was just down there and it looks like some sort of critter was chewing acorns in the engine compartment. My guess is he came in through the exhuast. Don't see any damage but I am worried. Has anyone had this problem and how did you deal with it?
    thanks
    Brad

Try doing a google search on cinnamon oil. I read somewhere the fishermen use it when they store their boats b/c it keeps critters away-- boat ends up smelling kind of fresh too.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Sorry-- I think it's actually peppermint oil.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Here's one article thing on it:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf703999.tip.html
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Angry

We have same problem, but with squirrels!
    Texas is a Great Country!

2008 XLV 1100# sacks X3! Whooya!

I once had a squirrel get in a boat that i had sitting letting everything dry out in the back yard. Well the next day i just closed all the hatch's up and sealed him in there not knowing, he ate some wires and nibbled on the fuel line and schreaded up some life jackets. The next month we went boat camping on a island in the gulf. I had beached the boat and the tide had gone out-i was complety hi and dry with no way to clean it when i found him--what a stinky mess that was. To save the weekend i just did not let my wife open any hatch's and cleaned it all out when i got home.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Sled491 Guest

Just out of curiosity, how do critters get in through the exhaust? I understand that they can get in through the flaps but from there the trip ends at exhaust valves.

I have heard that they have come in through the drain plug. Either way give them a taste of some kind of mouse poisen as it dries out the little trespasser and keeps it from becoming a stinky mess.

Yep, squirrels are horrible little critters when it comes to anything mechanical that has wiring or rubber parts to chew on. I've seen them to thousands of dollars in damage to cars in the space of a few days by destroying the wiring harnesses under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
    Yep, squirrels are horrible little critters when it comes to anything mechanical that has wiring or rubber parts to chew on. I've seen them to thousands of dollars in damage to cars in the space of a few days by destroying the wiring harnesses under the hood.
    I've seen this also-some creature really like's the knock sensor wire harness on honda v-6 engine's-have to pull the intake to replace a 4 inch long wire. Check engine light will come on and if its the fault for that sensor you can bet its been chewed.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart